Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2 Pi Tower Pics - Any Problem With My Design?
2 Pi Tower Pics - Any Problem With My Design? [message #53008] Wed, 24 December 2008 21:00 Go to next message
breakfastchef is currently offline  breakfastchef
Chancellor
Probably not the best time to be posting this during the holiday season, but do any of you see any major flaws in the design of my 2 Pi Towers?

Re: 2 Pi Tower Pics - Any Problem With My Design? [message #53009 is a reply to message #53008] Wed, 24 December 2008 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Replying to my own message as I do not understand how to post pics in this forum...

Re: 2 Pi Tower Pics - Any Problem With My Design? [message #53010 is a reply to message #53009] Wed, 24 December 2008 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Your cabinets look sturdy. I think they'll sound great.

Be sure and line the front, one side and top of the cabinet interior with R13 insulation. Also, place a sheet on each brace spanning the cross-section. This will attenuate midrange very effectively within the cabinet while letting bass pass straight through.

To post images, just put the URL of the image in the "Optional Image URL" field of the reply form. You put it in the "Optional Link URL" field, which is fine too. But if you put it in the Image URL field, the image will be displayed at the top of the post instead of as a link at the bottom.

My 2 Pi Towers Were Born Today [message #53011 is a reply to message #53008] Thu, 25 December 2008 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor

Hi Folks: My 2 Pi Towers debuted with my Bottlehead system today. Absolutely wonderful sound and more bass than I had expected. While I have not put the final finish on the cabinets, I just had to give myself an Xmas gift of listening to them. Heck, my wife even likes the sound though the cabinets severly tested WAF (sife approval factor).

Thanks to Wayne and everyone else for their input over the past two months or so. I guess I am officially both a 'Bottlehead' and a 'Pi-Head' now. Cheers.

P.S. Don't ask for nudies of the towers as they are sealed!
P.P.S. The speakers did not come with screws? Never seen that before.

Re: My 2 Pi Towers Were Born Today [message #53013 is a reply to message #53011] Fri, 26 December 2008 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Those look wonderful, congrats!

Re: My 2 Pi Towers Were Born Today [message #53015 is a reply to message #53011] Fri, 26 December 2008 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
They look great! I'll bet they sound good, too. I haven't had any drivers that come with screws. T-nuts are good to use to attach them- and you can get nice black machine screws. I've also used brass machine screws and chemically darkened them (even tho they'd darken quickly on their own).

Re: My 2 Pi Towers Were Born Today [message #53016 is a reply to message #53015] Fri, 26 December 2008 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Matts: Yes, I was wondering why screws were not included, but figured that the mfg. would have no way of knowing how the component would be installed. Rather than using spray paint, I used gun blue to darken the heads.

...and yes, they sound great!

Re: 2 Pi Tower Pics - Any Problem With My Design? [message #53019 is a reply to message #53008] Sun, 28 December 2008 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne-o is currently offline  Wayne-o
Master
What kind of ply wood did you use? Thanks

18mm Baltic Birch [message #53020 is a reply to message #53019] Sun, 28 December 2008 22:08 Go to previous message
Chancellor
Went with the 'highly recommended' 18mm thick baltic birch plywood. Rather expensive but significantly fewer void than any sheet good at a Lowes or Home Depot. Also, many, many more plys, too. I do not think what I got was cabinet grade, but it worked just fine. At some time in the future I may veneer the whole thing.

Previous Topic: JBL 2446 & 2226 in a Corner Horn Design
Next Topic: Efficiency Spes for the 2 Pi Tower
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 06:24:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout