Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Heresy cabinet rebuild
Heresy cabinet rebuild [message #52996] Sun, 21 December 2008 17:46 Go to next message
Marc G is currently offline  Marc G
Chancellor
I hope this is appropriate for this forum.

Klipsch Hereseys with mangled cabinets are pretty easy to find. I have a pair and have been coveting Cornwalls for a while. Is there a way to significantly improve the Heresy with a new cabinet and woofer alignment ? The goal would be to keep the original drivers and build a larger cabinet, possibly ported, and modify the crossover to fit.

The goal would be to transform the speaker from a rocker to more of a even handed smoother all rounder. Is there any info from someone who has pondered this ? I know that the original cabinet is undersized for the woofer which shifts the tuning up and works well enough. Now what if I decrease the tuning ? Will the speaker still integrate well or will there be too much group delay with a port ?

three π or four π mains plus subs [message #52998 is a reply to message #52996] Mon, 22 December 2008 11:34 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I would suggest going to a matched-directivity two-way speaker like the three π or four π loudspeaker. Add a pair of three π subs and you'll have deeper extension than any speaker without subs, plus you'll gain the benefit of muti-sub room mode smoothing. That is an excellent setup, one that I use myself.

The thing is, it seems to me it would be easier to build from scratch than to cut out the baffle with a sawzall and replace it with one having the right size cutouts. But either way you go to get to the goal, that's the kind of system I would build. Uniform-directivity mains and subs.

Previous Topic: 2pi speaker plans
Next Topic: Seven- Pi vs Eight- Pi ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 16:03:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout