Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Natural Finish For Baltic Birch
Natural Finish For Baltic Birch [message #52990] Sat, 20 December 2008 19:03 Go to next message
breakfastchef is currently offline  breakfastchef
Chancellor
For now, I am thinking of leaving my 2 Pi towers in baltic birch in natural. I tried a natural stain by Minwax and a teak oil by Watco. Overall, the results are similar with the stain turning out a bit blotchy. What is a recommended finish for baltic birch that is natural, not blotchy? Should I just go with a polyurethane finish and be done with it?

Re: Natural Finish For Baltic Birch [message #52992 is a reply to message #52990] Sat, 20 December 2008 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
a lot of your success will depend on wood prep. Sand it smooth as glass, use ascending grits, starting w/ around 200 and work up to 500-600 or higher if you can get it. That's a big part of job. Next step is to put a thin coat of good filler. here's a link to a very good one below. You put this on thin, dries quickly, then sand it again with a fine grit. This is the stuff that really solves the "blotchies"! Then you can put an oil finish on it, or get a good wax (my preference). Store below has a lot of better waxes, oils, etc. You can probably find 'em locally if you know what you're looking for.

Re: Natural Finish For Baltic Birch [message #52993 is a reply to message #52992] Sat, 20 December 2008 22:17 Go to previous message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
one other thing- sanding should be done by hand if you want really nice finish- to ez to gouge or nick when using power sanders & then you've gone backwards.

Previous Topic: theatre, pro, stage....
Next Topic: Updated Theater 4s now in operation!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 08:45:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio