Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » EV SP15B in Pi 4 ???
EV SP15B in Pi 4 ??? [message #52899] Tue, 25 November 2008 15:49 Go to next message
James is currently offline  James
Chancellor
I've got a pair of these in mint condition, but I can't find complete T/S numbers. I'd really like to try them in a Pi 4 -style arrangement. Does anybody know where I might dig up detailed data on these? The Electro-vice site is no help -- not enough info.

Thanks in advance!

Re: EV SP15B in Pi 4 ??? [message #52900 is a reply to message #52899] Tue, 25 November 2008 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

According to ThieleSmall.com, the EVM 15B specs are as follows:

Brand Electro Voice
Model EVM-15B
Description
Range / type Woofer
Typical use PA
Recomended enclosure
Series Pro-Line
Manufacturer
Order nr
Production status Discontinued
Nom. diamerer [inch] 15
Vas [Liters] 260
Qts 0,3
Qes 0,31
Qms 13
Fs [Hz] 43
Sensitivity [dB] 101
Max Power [W] 400
Power definition continous
Lower freq [Hz] 60
Upper freq [Hz] 3500
Rec. Filter freq [Hz]
xmax [mm] 3,25
Moving mass [g] 48
Disp area [m2] 0,086
Disp Vol [cm3]
xdamage [mm] 12,5
Air gap [mm]
Coil height [mm]
Coil diameter [mm] 62,5
Cms [mm/N] 0,214
Rms [N*s/m] 1,4
Magnet weight [gr] 2,225
Magnet height [mm]
Magnet diameter [mm]
Magnet material -
Re [ohm] 5,2
Z [ohm] 8
L [mH] 0,5
Bl [Tm] 17,5
Magnetic flux [Wb]
Flux density [T]
Outer diam. [mm]
Bolt circle [mm]
Nr of bolts [Nr]
Cutout [mm]
Weight [Kg] 9,08
Height [mm]
Depth [mm]
Driver volume [Liters]
Frequency SPL / Z
Home page [URL] http://www.electrovoice.com
Data sheet [URL}
Enterd by -
Date reviewed 2003-11-09
Date added 2003-11-09

Re: EV SP15B in Pi 4 ??? [message #52901 is a reply to message #52900] Tue, 25 November 2008 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Hi Wayne,

The EVM series and the SP series aren't the same. The SP-15B is a smaller magnet version of the SP-15, both of which were originally designed for hi-fi use (complete with whizzer cone). They are lower Fs, higher Qts, and lower sensitivity than the EVM's. The Electrovoice website does give a suggested box/vent size, but I'd sure like to find the detailed T/S numbers and see what a Pi-aligned enclosure would look like.

Thanks very much for the info, and your effort. The search continues ...

James

Re: EV SP15B in Pi 4 ??? [message #52902 is a reply to message #52901] Tue, 25 November 2008 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris R. is currently offline  Chris R.
Viscount
Not cheap, but you can get Woofer Tester from PartExpress.com for $100 that will measure these for you.

Re: EV SP15B in Pi 4 ??? [message #52903 is a reply to message #52899] Wed, 26 November 2008 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Try this site they have a listing for the SP15A's but not the B's, which should be pretty close, I think the A's were for guitars and the B's were for bass guitar. The only difference between the EVM15L's and the EVM15B's were the L's had 3 or 4 extra ribs on the cone to make it stiffer, where as the B's didn't have those extra ribs, which only varied the Qms and Vas of the speaker if I remember right.

Re: EV SP15B in Pi 4 ??? [message #52905 is a reply to message #52903] Wed, 26 November 2008 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Wow, what a great resource -- thanks for the link!

I'm probably wrong, but the limited literature I've been able to find on the EV SP-15B indicates that it's closer to the SP-15, both with whizzer cones, ceramic mags, stamped-steel baskets, and intended for hi-fi use. The SP-15 even had a midrange/treble control. The SP-15A has a cast basket, and an Alnico mag (I think).

You may well be right that there is little difference among them, but in one piece of EV lit I found regarding the SP-15B, it was suggested that it's best use was in an infinite baffle. If I understand that application correctly, which I probably don't, then it might be that the SP-15B has a much higher Qts, making it a very different animal.

I think I'm going to get that woofer tester from PE.

Thanks again for the link ... I found info on several other speakers I was having trouble finding.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Best,

Jim

Re: EV SP15B in Pi 4 ??? [message #52906 is a reply to message #52902] Wed, 26 November 2008 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Good suggestion, thanks! It'll come in handy for other projects too, I'm sure. I think I just got a new item to add to my holiday wish list ../emoticons/winkie.gif
Smith & Larson [message #52908 is a reply to message #52906] Thu, 27 November 2008 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I strongly recomend the woofer tester from Smith & Larson instead. Keith Larson is the developer of the product and he and Parts Express went their separate ways when PE started making a clone. I like Parts Express and don't want to disparage them, but I don't think they should be making what amounts to an unlicensed copy of the original S&L woofer tester. It doesn't have the features and enhancements of the ones made at Smith and Larson either, so beyond principle, the S&L models are better products too. In short, get parts at PE - they're a great supplier - but don't get your woofer tester there.
Re: EV SP15B in Pi 4 ??? [message #52909 is a reply to message #52905] Thu, 27 November 2008 11:07 Go to previous message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes it would be best to get the woofer tester. Also speakers with a higher Qts should go into an infinite baffle, either that or they'll need a larger bass reflex type cabinet of some sort.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Bill

Previous Topic: ke-33 woofer !!!
Next Topic: Oy! I'm stuffed!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 14:46:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers