Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » "Bill Epstein" cabinet building details?
"Bill Epstein" cabinet building details? [message #52840] Fri, 31 October 2008 21:34 Go to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Hi Bill,

I was wondering what type of materials you used in your recent Four Pi cabinet contruction? Also, what type of joint technique did you use?

I want to build some Four - Pi boxes and thought of using 1" BB for the front baffles. And use .75" MDF for the main box with .5" BB as an outside layer.

My thought is to cut the front baffles and .5" BB to fit as multiple 45 degree angle cuts to hide any end grain. And just butting the MDF into each other and front baffle. Or, possibly butting the MDF and attaching with biscuits?

Obviously, I am a babe in the woods when it comes to total DIY, either it be speaker cabinets, or amplifiers.

Hopefully I will get out of Kindegarten soon.

Any insight will be appreciated.

Norris

Re: "Bill Epstein" cabinet building details? [message #52841 is a reply to message #52840] Sat, 01 November 2008 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I just used butt joints since I was going to veneer with marine-type plywood, Arauco, from Lowes, about $38 a sheet.

I kept the bracing to a minimum with just 1 plywood window pane which helps square the box and a few pieces of pine 1x4 placed irregularly on the walls. The Arauco seems quite non-resonant and I wanted to try the Audio Note idea of letting the box flex somewhat.

The multi-layer approach you mention is well-regarded; the XLH was built from 3- 3/4" layers and we know how natural that sounded. And how heavy!

If you use plywood and no veneer cutting 45s and joining with biscuits then using a few band clamps is a great idea. Personally, I don't think all the box-within-a-box stuff is worth the trouble, but that's just me.

Re: "Bill Epstein" cabinet building details? [message #52842 is a reply to message #52841] Sat, 01 November 2008 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Hi Bill,

Thanks for your reply.

This Arauco sounds interesting, what is the thickness and dimensions of this plywood?
Does it have voids, and a rough C grade finish. Or, is it voidless with a B grade finish, smooth for veneering?

I have been thinking about using some 1/8" oak flitches that were cut from a 13" wide board as side and back cover for these boxes. then use a darker veneer for the front baffle for contrast.

Certainly a box built of this Arauco if 3/4" thick, where I could butt all of the joints, would simplify life and make for a substantial box.

Your box design sounds like a good direction with the proper bracing.

I would think the window frame braces are made from the marine plywood? Did you laminated layers of this plywwod for the bace, or is it a single layer?

Did you use any special glue when gluing up the butt joints?

Any other specific information will be helpful to this carpentry newbie.

Norris

Re: "Bill Epstein" cabinet building details? [message #52843 is a reply to message #52842] Sun, 02 November 2008 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The Lowes ply is 3/4x4x8. The glue was just Titebond 3. The veneer Tape-ease NBL Premium Walnut, $75 for a 4x8 that exactly covers both boxes front sides and top; no seams. The window brace the same as the box.

KISS

Thanks Bill (nt) [message #52844 is a reply to message #52843] Mon, 03 November 2008 21:17 Go to previous message
Grand Master
nt

Previous Topic: 3pi/4pi plans? Horn lens question
Next Topic: Pi 3 plans please?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 11:59:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio