Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 3Pi to 4Pi
3Pi to 4Pi [message #52804] Fri, 24 October 2008 08:10 Go to next message
Champion is currently offline  Champion
Baron
Hi Wayne,

After living with 3 Pi, I am itched to try the 4 Pi at some stage. Seems like everyone is going for 4 Pi and there aren't many 3 Pi users. Is the upgrade worthy?

What parts can be reused - are the crossover circuits the same with differences in component values, or are the circuits totally different? How about the horn? I assume the compression driver can be reused? Thanks.

Re: 3Pi to 4Pi [message #52806 is a reply to message #52804] Fri, 24 October 2008 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I like both speakers. They are about the same size and have similar sonic character. The biggest difference to me is the JBL 2226 midwoofer used in the four π is a cleaner, lower distortion model. It sounds smoother and more detailed at the same time, and is less fatiguing at high volume levels or after extended listening periods.

You might also want to consider upgrading the tweeter to the B&C DE250. It can be installed in either the three π or four π models. It has smoother response.

The tweeter and crossover are basically the same in the three π and four π speakers. Depending on the tweeter used, you may have to change R1/R2. Do make sure you use the new 2008 crossover, as the improvements made around the first of the year make a difference. The changes are subtle but significant, and you can re-use many of the same components.

Re: 3Pi to 4Pi [message #52808 is a reply to message #52806] Sat, 25 October 2008 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Champion is currently offline  Champion
Baron
Hi Wayne, yes, I am already using the DE250 tweeter. And since I got the crossover from you earlier this year (around March), I assume it is the new 2008 version?

May I have the 4 pi plan please? Thanks.

Re: 3Pi to 4Pi [message #52812 is a reply to message #52808] Sat, 25 October 2008 23:39 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Very good. You have the 2008 crossover then.

Previous Topic: Here are pics of my speaker....so far
Next Topic: LAB-12 MAGNET SIZE ???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 01 09:53:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout