Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Here are pics of my speaker....so far
Here are pics of my speaker....so far [message #52774] Sat, 18 October 2008 13:14 Go to next message
djn is currently offline  djn
Chancellor
Hi All, here are pics of my Jensen Imperials with EV SP-15 woofer. I will but the riser off the top and replace the horns on top with the Pi midbass horn and the Pi tweeter horn, then adding the big Heil super tweeter on top of that. I am driving the woof with an Adcom GCA510 and the mid and tweet horns with a 300B amp, and the Heil with a Dynakit ST 70.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Re: Here are pics of my speaker....so far [message #52778 is a reply to message #52774] Sun, 19 October 2008 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Hi djn,

Your Imperial's look great, very clean. Is that a JBL waveguide setting on top the Imperial cabinets? Would you give me your impression of this horn with your compression driver that you are using? Also, would you include any impressions that you may have using the JBL waveguide with other compression drivers, if you have used it with others that is?

I am curious of which cone woofer that you will be using with the Pi mid-horn?
I have seen a post regarding this little 5" Faital midrange on another forum, the Faital Pro M5N12-80. The guy used it with a tractrix horn with an open backed chamber. It may work well up high above 400Hz or so, don't know. But, it has me curious as well.

I was thinking maybe it could take the place of a 2" compression mid from about 700Hz or so, and up to around the 2k to 4k range, where another 1" compression driver / horn would take over.
Just thinking out loud.

But, this little 5" midrange may not have the radiatiing area to keep up with your 15" Jensen, again, thinking out loud.

Keep us posted of your progress with the Pi mid-horn and tweeter?
It sounds like it could make for a very interesting speaker.

Norris

Re: Here are pics of my speaker....so far [message #52781 is a reply to message #52778] Mon, 20 October 2008 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Hi Norris, myself and a bunch of others over on AK speaker forum are building up these JBL waveguides using Selenium D210T drivers. There is a great crossover already developed for the combo as well. I had those JBL guides on for just a couple days. Below is a picture of my ESS AMT 1C project using the waveguide and Selenium instead of the Heil. Today I disassembled the ESSs and have been refinishing the veneer repainting all the black parts, and redoing the old funky grills with black sheer.

I thought the Pi midhorn was made to use the 10" Alfa driver. Wouldn't a 5" driver be too small for the horn throat? Cheers.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Re: Here are pics of my speaker....so far [message #52782 is a reply to message #52781] Mon, 20 October 2008 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Hi djn,

"I thought the Pi midhorn was made to use the 10" Alfa driver. Wouldn't a 5" driver be too small for the horn throat?"

I am not sure if the Pi mid-horn is specific to the Alpha 10".
I belive that Wayne has used a JBL 10" driver with this horn as well.
Possibly he will chime in here and fill us in on other driver options?

About the 5" Faital driver, the guy who posted using it in the tractrix horn used it with a throat area that was round and close to the diameter of the driver. I honestly don't have a clue about the physical requirements to use such a driver. I just thought I would throw it out there as a possible alternative.
For what it is worth, the guy who used the 5" Faital driver replaced an 8" B&C, claiming that it was as dynamic and could keep up with his system.

Good luck with your project, and have fun.

NW

Re: Here are pics of my speaker....so far [message #52784 is a reply to message #52782] Mon, 20 October 2008 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The midhorn was designed to use the Eminence Delta 10 or JBL 2012. I also found the Alpha 10 works well in it.

Re: Here are pics of my speaker....so far [message #52786 is a reply to message #52784] Mon, 20 October 2008 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Hey Wayne, out of the three, which one is the best sounding?

Re: Here are pics of my speaker....so far [message #52791 is a reply to message #52786] Tue, 21 October 2008 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The JBL version sounds more analytical, the Eminence ones are more warm. Of the two Eminence drivers, the Alpha is a little fuller but I think the Delta sounds more pure.

My favorite combination is a JBL woofer in the bass bin, Eminence driver in the midhorn and B&C driver on the tweeter horn.

Re: Here are pics of my speaker....so far [message #52792 is a reply to message #52791] Tue, 21 October 2008 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Have you ever used the TAD 2001 on the tweet? I have a pair I can use indefinatly. Cheers.

Re: Here are pics of my speaker....so far [message #52793 is a reply to message #52792] Tue, 21 October 2008 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, I've tried the TAD drivers. They're nice drivers.

The crossover for the B&C DE250 works perfectly with the TAD 2001. Their impedance, voltage sensitivity and response are very similar. The TAD has a smidge greater extension.

Re: Here are pics of my speaker....so far [message #52795 is a reply to message #52793] Wed, 22 October 2008 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Chancellor
How would you compare the B&C to the TAD sound wise?

Previous Topic: 2 pi as a in-wall speaker
Next Topic: 3Pi to 4Pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 07:31:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout