Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » how loud will 2 watts get?
how loud will 2 watts get? [message #52761] Wed, 15 October 2008 18:01 Go to next message
jeff p is currently offline  jeff p
Chancellor
i just got these pi one towers and they sound good.

a friend is going to buy my other speakers but he wants my preamp and amp as well which is fine. who needs 220watts with 95db speakers?

so i'm looking around and thinking i'll get a used amp, maybe a small SET but i'm wondering...will 1.8-2 watts really drive my speakers to acceptable levels?
what about if you have a record or cd that is recorded kinda low?

i'm looking at stuff like decware or bottlehead, or tubelab kits.
i also see stuff like copys of dynaco's, those are more like 17watts which seems more reasonable.
the decware's seem cool because they can be run without a preamp and the input sens. on the se84 is 2v.
i hear they are a little bit thin in the bass. could someone get around that by rolling tubes?

alas, i have a bottlehead foreplay III kit is still haven't put together would that produce more headroom?

Re: how loud will 2 watts get? [message #52763 is a reply to message #52761] Wed, 15 October 2008 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The BH pre-amp ghas 10db gain which is a nice number and will appreciably raise the gain you can have from 2 watts.

How loud will 2 watts play? I easily get average 85dB and peaks of 95 with my 1.8 watt amp and 4 Pi Pros w/o a pre-amp. 12x18 room. There is lttle 'headroom', of course, i.e., rock bands will play loud but full orchestras will stress and clip the amp.

The 2 Pis have a lot of 'apparent' bass so I wouldn't worry about that. They're also a bit on the warm side with less detail than you get with better drivers. This makes them a good candidate for one of the inexpensive chip amps, at least until your experience grows.

I personally think the ST-70 is waaay over-rated. Depending on your budget, the Audio Note Kits 6550 amp would be great or build the JE Labs 300B, schematics and pix of the wiring are everywhere. I'm not familiar with the Decware or BH Sex amp.

I built one of these a few years ago and it blew away an ST-70 I had at the same time: Ella on Audiogon

Re: how loud will 2 watts get? [message #52764 is a reply to message #52763] Wed, 15 October 2008 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
yeah i saw that ella amp and i think i saw a post where wayne said it was good.
i kinda figured the dynaco stuff is overrated.

i'll look into the audio note stuff if it's in my budget. i'm kinda trying to keep that down a bit though :-\

2 watts is not enough [message #52770 is a reply to message #52761] Thu, 16 October 2008 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I have both One and Two Pi systems. I've tried a 2 watt Yamamoto A-08 SET (45 output tubes) and it strains. I've had luck using a 30 wpc Cayin TA-30 (PP EL34) and it does a good job. Currently, I've settled on an 8 watt Almarro A205 (SEP EL84) and I think that's where it's at.

Just to be stupid I tried the Two Pis with a set of old Baldwin organ amps, which are PPP 6L6s pushing about 120 wpc. Very nice - really showed what the Pis could do, but this was complete overkill for the bedroom.

I will testify [message #52771 is a reply to message #52761] Thu, 16 October 2008 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Delgadas is currently offline  Delgadas
Esquire
In my less than optimal, low ceiling, 12X17 media room, the Bottlehead 6DN7 S.E.X. amp with Pi 2 Towers is satisfying this old rocker to no end. Hands down. Simple as that. Of course, the Paramount 300B with the same speakers puts me in the front row!

Put that Foreplay III together, it has plenty (10dB) of gain.

Re: how loud will 2 watts get? [message #52772 is a reply to message #52761] Thu, 16 October 2008 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Depends how loud you want to listen , I think. I've got a 0.9W 12B4 amp w/o preamp running into my 2Pi Towers. For my bedroom setup it sounds great and goes plenty loud for me. Course, it's nothing like running my 50W NAD amp into them, but I don't notice a difference at the levels the 12B4 runs if the NAD volume is set the same. In fact, the 12B4 sounds much better, even in the bass dept. To each his own I guess.

Re: 2 watts is not enough [message #52775 is a reply to message #52770] Sat, 18 October 2008 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne-o is currently offline  Wayne-o
Master
Over 16 watts gets into the ear damaging territory, 1 to 3 watts is the level where I end up at .107 db is too loud according to some experts.
Using the One-Pi's , The one Pi's sound great with a tenth of a watt in a quiet basement.

Re: 2 watts is plenty enough [message #52777 is a reply to message #52775] Sun, 19 October 2008 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I use Pi 4's (JBL/B&C) w/ 2A3 tubes in a fairly large room- plenty! W/17 watts in a one-channel home-made guitar amp pushing el84's I can split and eardrum in a room in a house.

Re: how loud will 2 watts get? [message #52856 is a reply to message #52761] Mon, 10 November 2008 12:59 Go to previous message
Chancellor
well, i suspected 2 watts might not be quite enough.
i saw what i thought was a good deal on a decware se84csp (the preamp), sold the foreplay, then the guy mentioned he had a taboo amp he'd maybe sell. i looked around and a few weeks later we made a deal on the power amp.
the taboo is a 6watt SEP design by decware.
sounds real nice and the seller was nice enough to send me lots of extra tubes, various driver tubes, a few pairs of sv83 output tubes and a few pairs of EL84 also, two nice rectifier tubes as well.

with the sv83 output tubes, when i'm home alone and want to the listen loud the amp will usually end up clipping.
swapped in the EL84 and there it is. no clipping as loud as i want to play it and there is a little more bass too!!!
so setup now the power amp is mullard 12au7 driver, Hammond EL84 output tubes and Mullard 5u4g rectifier.

the one pi had a GR research tweeter (96db tweeter) with 1ohm resistor in series, it was a little hot.
i redid the crossover with an Obbligato cap, 1ohm resistor in series, and put some vifa (ac25) tweeters in there because they fit and madisound was sold out of the dx25. they sound pretty good though and only cost $11 each.

Previous Topic: Pi 3 plans please?
Next Topic: lab 12 port freq. ???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 04:04:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout