Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi 2 tweeter substitution?
Pi 2 tweeter substitution? [message #52656] Thu, 18 September 2008 23:38 Go to next message
xsheaffer is currently offline  xsheaffer
Esquire
Hi Wayne,
I'm planning a 2 pi tower build and want to use a more expensive tweeter if such a thing can be done without damaging the balance of the (brilliant) original design with the DX25.
At first glance, the DX25 seems like it might be a little hard to replace due to how low it extends frequency-wise. There are several promising candidates, but they seem to prefer a higher order and higher freq. crossover.
I suspect the speaker as a whole would suffer by crossing the woofer 800-1000Hz higher.
Have you any recommendations on a suitable replacement that might offer improvement?
If there has been any development you or anyone else could advise, I would love to learn of it.
Thanks!

Scott

Re: Pi 2 tweeter substitution? [message #52657 is a reply to message #52656] Fri, 19 September 2008 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's the exact problem I had when looking for a tweeter for this speaker. There are few tweeters with the right characteristics. As you've seen, you need the right combination of sensitivity and frequency range. There are lots of ribbons and dome tweeters that are very nice, but most don't have the sensitivity. Of those that do, most can't be used low enough in frequency. There are some horns that fit the bill, but none had the sound I wanted for this speaker. All were really super-tweeters and just too bright.

A 1" compression driver would have actually worked well, and in fact, that's what I use in the eight π speaker. Its horn creates the right directivity for matching with the tweeter; Without it, the crossover point would have to be made higher for matching the Alpha 10 as a direct radiator. But when I thought about it, I already have two very good matched-directivity two-way speakers, the three π and four π loudspeakers. I prefered to keep the one π and two π speakers simple and low cost. In the end, the DX25 stood out, pretty much alone in my choices.

Re: Pi 2 tweeter substitution? [message #52660 is a reply to message #52657] Fri, 19 September 2008 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne-o is currently offline  Wayne-o
Master
I have subbed the 1-pi with different ribbons and domes and bose with the higher spl rating and none sounded as good as the DX 25s ,I tried the Vifas last and what i found out is that I wasted around three or four hundred dollars. DX 25s sound better and blend better than all the rest,including the Emits the polydomes three different ones, the daytons ribbons, and some high price ribbons, three different bose tweeters . OK
the Dx-25 surprised me. Hey Wayne P. is the Heil AMT tweeter a good alternate ???

Thnaks, you just saved me some money [message #52662 is a reply to message #52660] Sat, 20 September 2008 12:06 Go to previous message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I have the One (8") and Two (10") Pi woofers in cabinets by themselves, with a seperate tweeter module sitting on top. I built them this way so I could, at some point, swap tweeters easily. So far I've been very happy with the DX25.

Did you change XO points?

Do you have a list of specific tweeters you tried?

TIA......C

Previous Topic: Heads up on Bessey K-body clamps
Next Topic: old version of Pi4 pro
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 17:24:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers