Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Review: 4Pi Pros, or... Walnut Pi
Review: 4Pi Pros, or... Walnut Pi [message #52611] Fri, 12 September 2008 11:12 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I spent 3 serious hours with the new speakers early this AM and I'm satisfied these are the best sounding I've ever built. They needed a $4 tweak to get there, though.

oops, still have to touch-up that port

My first impression yesterday was disappointment with a 'plasticky' coloration from the treble that spoiled the sound and I was filled with regret over abandoning the wood horns. I decided to try damping the H-290s even tho' there was limited success doing that to Altec 811s some years ago. And these horns aren't even 'cowbell' aluminum. I completely covered the outsides of the horns with M-D rope caulk, $4 bucks a package. It made a fantastic difference, completely eliminating the coloration. This is a mandatory tweak for anyone using the H-290 in whatever speaker.

That done, I was able to hear the most remarkable soundstage, a true stage that extends from wall-to-wall with instruments and voices placed exactly right in relation to each other and the hall (or mixing board!). One of the weaknesses of the BatSpeakers was accurately portraying the piano keyboard; whether Diana Krall or Emil Gilels, the octaves were a muddle. No more. Now there is no question about the orientation of the Steinway or hands upon the keys. The combination of the new crossover and positioning of the woofer and horn in the baffle results in the kind of image single-driver advocates go on about and beyond. No 4 " or 6" single driver can do what the JBL and B&C combo does.

The first few bars of Dire Straits Ride Across The River reveals the wonderful and eerie tone of the flute backed by the impact of the percussion. This track from the SACD re-issue is one of my top five benchmarks and shows off all the strengths of the 4Pis: natural tone, impactful, fast transients and the sensation of vast amounts of air moving. Her Latest Trick showcases Mark Knopflers guitar sound in a way never before heard, with little details of the mix coming and going that, until now, were lost.

On Jacinthas Autumn Leaves, the upright bass intro to track one is just so real with tone that describes the wooden hollow body and vibration of the strings. Her voice is also "the sweetest sound I've ever heard".

'Deed I Do, Diana Krall, reveals the one remaining flaw of the sound I'm getting in room. Her attacks on vowels that open phrases are too sharp and become fatiguing. I'm certain this is my room even with the conditioning I've done because it was there before. I had mostly eliminated it with the corner placement and extreme toe-in of the BatSpeakers but it's back somewhat with the 4Pis. I feel this is owing to the more accurate reproduction of the 4Pis as well as the need to reduce the toe-in to better attain the other positive attributes of the sound. The H-290s want to be heard more on-axis in my room than the wood horns. So be it. Given enough time and fiberglass, this will be tamed.

Getting my room back was high on my list of priorities for building the 4 Pi Pros and for the first time in years I have speakers with "indoor plumbing" and plenty of walking and breathing room. Only the sound dominates the room. Everything I've done in years past has been with exotic veneers and I felt that walnut went out with Acoustic Research. I'd forgotten how interesting the grain and rich the color could be with the right finish.

In my mind, I carry around with me memories of great speakers that function as standards of comparison: Infinite Slope Model 3s, Dunlavy Sovereigns, John Wolfe's Hartsfield reproductions, Von Schwiekert 7s and most recently, the XLH 1812s. Wayne's 4Pi pros easily join that company and I expect to enjoy them for many years.

Re: One more thing [message #52612 is a reply to message #52611] Fri, 12 September 2008 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I recalled reading that Wayne recommended placing a 3/4" riser under the cabinet front. I had been meaning to try something to improve the speaker/suspended floor interface so I put a pair of Vibrapod 2's under them, one in each front corner. A little better height to the soundstage and tighter bass resulted.

Re: Review: 4Pi Pros, or... Walnut Pi [message #52613 is a reply to message #52611] Fri, 12 September 2008 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne-o is currently offline  Wayne-o
Master
Hey !!! They look nice. Wish mine looked like that. If you move to Indiana I liked to come over and see them.

Re: Review: 4Pi Pros, or... Walnut Pi [message #52614 is a reply to message #52611] Fri, 12 September 2008 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Exellent review, Bill, thanks for writing it up! Beautiful work on the cabinets. Just lovely!

Re: Review: 4Pi Pros, or... Walnut Pi [message #52615 is a reply to message #52611] Fri, 12 September 2008 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jimbop is currently offline  jimbop
Viscount
Very nice! Thanks for the review. One question: Do you feel like they get enough breathing room so close to the walls? I was under the impression that these cabinets needed to be placed further out into the room to perform their best. I asked about this a few years ago, and went with a pair of Wayne's Theater 4's based on his recommendation that the Theater 4's would work better than his other designs if I needed to keep the speakers close to the back wall.

Wayne, can you comment on this?

Jim D.

Re: Great Looking! [message #52616 is a reply to message #52612] Fri, 12 September 2008 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
Those look excellent, and look really good with the rest of the room. They fit in very nicely wit the other woods! It's a really good looking box that's not too large for a bass reflex. I've come to put a small piece of plywood under the front of mine when I'm playing something with a louder electric bass or anything that's bass heavy, and I leave 'em flat on the floor when listening to acoustic bass or naturally recorded small combo. Enjoy!!

Re: Review: 4Pi Pros, or... Walnut Pi [message #52617 is a reply to message #52615] Fri, 12 September 2008 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think there may have been some miscommunication. All of my speakers (except subs) are designed to be used in quarter-space or eighth-space, meaning against a wall or in a corner, facing into the room. You can pull them away from a wall in some cases, but none are designed to be out in open space.

Re: Review: 4Pi Pros, or... Walnut Pi [message #52618 is a reply to message #52611] Fri, 12 September 2008 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Outstanding, Bill! What great work!

Re: Review: 4Pi Pros, or... Walnut Pi [message #52619 is a reply to message #52611] Fri, 12 September 2008 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbert is currently offline  Norbert
Baron
Great work Bill!

I'm a little lost with your comment below. Can you post a pic or explain a little bit more about?

" I decided to try damping the H-290s even tho' there was limited success doing that to Altec 811s some years ago. And these horns aren't even 'cowbell' aluminum. I completely covered the outsides of the horns with M-D rope caulk, $4 bucks a package. It made a fantastic difference, completely eliminating the coloration. This is a mandatory tweak for anyone using the H-290 in whatever speaker. "

Thanks,

Norbert

Re: Review: 4Pi Pros, or... Walnut Pi [message #52620 is a reply to message #52611] Fri, 12 September 2008 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Hey Bill,

Fantastic wood working on the cabinets, they really look beautiful.

Thanks for the review, very infomative and helpful regarding my quest.

Enjoy!

And please keep us posted on any new sonic discoveries with your new 4 Pi's as you play around with their positioning and tweaks.

Norris

Previous Topic: 1 on the ramp, 1 in the hanger
Next Topic: Omega-15 cab.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 07:47:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers