Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 1 on the ramp, 1 in the hanger
1 on the ramp, 1 in the hanger [message #52599] Tue, 09 September 2008 18:57 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

It's soooo humid here, I've been working out in the porch, ducking back in under the fan, going out, coming in.....

Just have to wire up t'other and install the drivers.

I've got the board sitting on the cabinet bottom on a 1/2" thick piece of EAR C-1002 with a layer of Microsorb holding the EAR to the cabinet and the board to the EAR stuff. $75 bucks worth of damping, hope it does something!

So who knew that the title of this post is a line from Strategic Air Command starring James Stewart, William Holden and June Allyson? How do I retain shit like this? I was about 8 years old when that movie played!

Re: Let's see, something more recent............ [message #52600 is a reply to message #52599] Tue, 09 September 2008 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Twins! Davito and the Governator!

How 'bout them drapes? Don't laugh, I paid 10 bucks for all 4 panels and they really help with room reflections. Ugleeeeee, Spkrman would love'm!

Re: Let's see, something more recent............ [message #52601 is a reply to message #52600] Tue, 09 September 2008 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Yes, but you know Ron, he'd want them to be "rubber backed". Who knows what kinky reason for that...

Re: 1 on the ramp, 1 in the hanger [message #52602 is a reply to message #52599] Wed, 10 September 2008 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Really good looking, Bill. Hope they sound as sweet to you as they look. I sure think they do.

Love those old movies. Makes me sentimental sometimes.

Rubber absorbs more!!! [message #52604 is a reply to message #52601] Wed, 10 September 2008 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
You guys laugh, but in a reverberant room the "rubber backed" drapes do quite a bit to kill the extra bounce of the soundwaves.

The speakers look nice, so how do they sound compared to the bat speaker cabinets???

As for what evil lurks in the hearts of man, only the "Shadow" knows!

Let's precede TV and recall radio shows!!!

Cheers, Ron

Re: 1 on the ramp, 1 in the hanger [message #52608 is a reply to message #52599] Wed, 10 September 2008 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Hi Bill,

Your new Four Pi caninet looks professional all the way, very nice.

I am curious if you have had an opportunity to compare the sound quality and differences between your old JBL 2226 cabinets and the new Four Pi's?

It would be helpful if you would report back your findings when you can?

Congratulations on the nice speakers.

I hope I will be able to build something that looks half that nice when I finally get around to it.

Norris

Re: 1 on the ramp, 1 in the hanger, follow-up [message #52633 is a reply to message #52608] Sun, 14 September 2008 13:46 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I mentioned in the text that the soundstage is much improved (see the comment about piano position) and the bass is very good but I can expand on that a bit.

One of my worries was that the smaller cabinet wouldn't yield the bass impact of the larger and it doesn't, quite. The bass is somehat softer, most noticeable with the 70 watt solid state Classe, less so with the 1.8 watt parafeed 45 tube amp. Parafeed is really something! The quality of the bass, tho', is improved. Bass notes are better delineated; it's easier to follow the bass line whether acoustic upright or electric and the pedal tones of the organ, at least above 40 Hz (I guess) seem somehow louder.

I'm not a fan of sub-woofers, I've alsways found them to muddy the mid-range, but I have a pair of 15" Daytons, a pair of 250 watt plate amps, and the BatSpeaker boxes so I'm going to see what subs do for the bass. I can easily live without reinforcement, but I'll give it a try in the coming months.

The impression of players on a stage is really important to me, number 2 in importance after accurate tone. I recall my Theatre 4 Pis having little depth to the stage; the BatSpeakers had good width and depth and the players or singers were more or less well-positioned. The Pros, however, are in a different constellation.

The Union Station CD, Live is a great reference because I also have the DVD and know where the players are. What's amazing to me, and something I've never heard before, is that the hall ambience stretches from wall-to-wall but the music doesn't. Just as you can see in the DVD, Jerry Douglas is positioned well away from stage right but, as seen from the audience, on the left side of the group. That's exactly what you hear on the CD through the 4Pi Pros: there is an ambience, a sense of air extending to the left wall of my room but the sound of his Dobro, instead of being all the to the left wall, is coming from a spot a few feet closer to the center. Moving to the right you hear Alison, then Dan and finally Ron Block, with a similar gap to the right wall. Once again, however, there is a sense of the stage extending all the way to the right wall. That's incredibly unique! Both amplifiers, BTW, convey the same impression.

So how do the pros compare to the BatSpeakers? Well, with the horn damped and the room sorted out, if the boxes don't work out as subs, they'll wind up in that graveyard of speaker cabinets, Spkrmans garage.

Previous Topic: 7 Pi woofers
Next Topic: Review: 4Pi Pros, or... Walnut Pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 06:46:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout