Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Jeff Jewett does it again
Jeff Jewett does it again [message #52571] Thu, 04 September 2008 14:30 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
This guy is The Source for everything to do with finishing.

I remembered reading an article he wrote for Fine Woodworking discussing how today's Walnut has a greyer cast than the browner wood of yore. He recommended Amber shellac to bring out the richer brown tones and I just completed the first of several coats (Zinsser Bullseye waxed, diluted 50% to a 1 1/2 pound cut, applied with a pad)on the Walnut veneered 4 Pi's. What a transformation! I keep walking out to the porch just to look at them while they dry.

A classic veneer/finish for a classic speaker. Should be done by the end of my next days off Tuesday and can't wait to show them.

Re: Jeff Jewett does it again [message #52572 is a reply to message #52571] Thu, 04 September 2008 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Can't wait to see 'em, Bill!

Re: Jeff Jewett does it again [message #52573 is a reply to message #52572] Thu, 04 September 2008 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne-o is currently offline  Wayne-o
Master
Where are the pictures Bill ??? thanks

Re: Patience, young Jedi nt [message #52574 is a reply to message #52573] Thu, 04 September 2008 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Re: Patience, young Jedi nt [message #52576 is a reply to message #52574] Fri, 05 September 2008 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris R. is currently offline  Chris R.
Viscount
Come on, Bill. You know you can put on a coat of shellac almost as soon as you can get back to where you started. You should have been
done before you started (almost)! I love that stuff.
Chris

Re: Patience, young Jedi nt [message #52578 is a reply to message #52576] Fri, 05 September 2008 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
And the great thing about shellac is that it's easy to touch up those scratches that always aeem to show up.

Re: Patience, young Jedi nt [message #52579 is a reply to message #52578] Fri, 05 September 2008 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Scratches? What scratches?

Re: A few words on shellac, the ideal speaker finish [message #52580 is a reply to message #52576] Sat, 06 September 2008 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Well, with me it's never a few words.

What Chris says is true, and for a small project where the grain might be filled prior to finishing you can put on coat after coat in rapid succession. Actually, shellac, being a reactive finish, i.e., each application dissolves and mixes with the previous ones, you wind up with one thick coat.

For a large project like a speaker, and an open-pored wood like walnut, letting each coat dry and then scuff sanding to level it is a better technique. It still won't layer but each successive coat not only builds the thickness but actually fills in the pores of the wood as you go. You can see the pores highlighted with the first coat and then they diminish with each successive coat resulting in an almost smooth as filled surface.

I apply a wet coat with a pad in stripes with the grain, re-wetting the pad until I reach the end of the surface, then go back over with more stripes until the pad begins to dry out and drag. At this point, I begin padding in circles like wiping window glass; the friction of the drying pad reduces most of the ridges created by the striping and some firm pressure ensures good adhesion.

Let the surface dry overnight and then scuff sand lightly with the grain with 320 grit stearated paper backed with a hard rubber block. All the hardwares stores sell a 3M or similar block with teeth to hold the paper and it's ideal. However, tearing the 8 1/2x11 sheets in half and then quarters doesn't fit and the teeth are a pain. Simply hold the edges of the paper on the sides of the block; the rubber will keep good contact, the surface of the block is dead flat and light passes will level the surface coat yielding a whitish powder removed with a tack rag.

Now I apply another coat same as the first. 3 or 4 of these and you have a great looking finish. It's easy but not instant.

For the ultimate, after 4 or 5 days, soak 0000 steel wool in mineral spirits and use it to apply a good paste wax.

Re: A few words on shellac, the ideal speaker finish [message #52581 is a reply to message #52580] Sat, 06 September 2008 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm going to have to try that. I like a very smooth, deep finish.

Re: A few words on shellac, the ideal speaker finish [message #52582 is a reply to message #52580] Sat, 06 September 2008 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
Bill, you'd like my pseudo-vintage-"built in the '40's or 50's"-pseudo mahogany cabs... they look like someone built them back then with the dark shellac finish and they've aged since then...finished off with Black Bison wax. I'll have to get some pics of them up when I can pull the trigger on a digital camera.

Previous Topic: My .5 Pi Center Channel
Next Topic: JBL 2226H & EV DH1A w/HP940
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 08:05:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout