Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 3pi vs 4pi
3pi vs 4pi [message #52485] Sun, 17 August 2008 18:04 Go to next message
randy m is currently offline  randy m
Esquire
. I have been building speakers for thirty years or so and never improved on my first effort, a huge pair of three-ways with a 15in woofer, cone mid and horn tweet. Seems the more i listened to audiophiles the worse (or should I say, less real) my system sounded. Currently I own a pair of JBL Le36s , beautiful on acoustic guitar, horrible on voices and some of the old realness i've missed. I have read quite a bit in the forum on the 4pis but not much on the 3s. Is there any advantage to the 3s other than the small cost savings? box size is not an issue with me but my listening room is on the small side. 10ft by 14ft. Thanks for reading my long-winded post. Any advice would be most welcome. regards Randy

Re: 3pi vs 4pi [message #52486 is a reply to message #52485] Sun, 17 August 2008 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The three π is a very nice sounding speaker, very smooth and natural sounding with plenty of dynamic range. But the four π has the advantage of using a woofer with a shorting ring, the JBL 2226. Because of this, it has much less distortion which is most noticeable in the midrange and midbass.

Don't take this to mean the three π is distorted though. It is a very nice speaker, and you don't really notice the distortion even at high volume levels. The only way to tell is when you A/B them, you can hear the four π being clearer.

The other thing I notice is long duration listening fatigue. The three π's never really sound distorted, but after a couple hours at high volume, you want to turn them down. This isn't so with the four π's. In fact, it is probably something you should be careful of because listening fatigue doesn't set in for days. Seems like you can play them very loud forever, because even after several hours you still feel refreshed and don't feel the need to turn down the volume.

Re: 3pi vs 4pi [message #52488 is a reply to message #52486] Mon, 18 August 2008 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
randy m is currently offline  randy m
Esquire
Thanks Wayne, one reason I wanted to build the 3s was it would remove the choice between eminence and JBL. I'll just have to start saving my pennies. I agree listener fatigue is a huge factor in speakers i have built, full-range fostex TQWPs being the worst. Impressive at first but you find yourself not listening to them as much as the months pass. I'd like to get started on the cabs and would greatly appreciate 4pi plans. thanks for taking the time to answer my question. regards randy

Re: 3pi vs 4pi [message #52492 is a reply to message #52488] Mon, 18 August 2008 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
the Eminence is great value for the money and sounds great, but if there's any way to afford the JBL...

You've got mail! [message #52494 is a reply to message #52488] Mon, 18 August 2008 22:33 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Previous Topic: Wayne gets some pub
Next Topic: cone midhorn vs compression mid sound
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 07:22:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers