Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Live Sound PA speakers
Live Sound PA speakers [message #52437] Tue, 12 August 2008 04:26 Go to next message
cootcraig is currently offline  cootcraig
Chancellor

How would a pair of 4 Pi speakers work for live PA mains versus commercial offerings? I sure love my home built 2 Pi towers in my home listening system.

Some background - I've started doing ambient (1 or 2 mic) lie recording of some musicians in my neighborhood. So far a Sax player with regular trio quartet and quintet gigs; 2 different Jazz big bands; probably a classical string quartet for their upcoming season. The various jazz groups use a motley assortment of PA equipment. In some cases the equipment is good, but no one is running it properly, in other cases the equipment is miserable and reasonably set up. All of the smaller combos play too loudly for my tastes, sometimes to ear damaging levels.

I'm starting to think I want to learn to run the PA equipment to get better room sound. My 2 Pi towers sound so good to me I'm thinking a pair of 4 Pi speakers might be a real step up from what I've been hearing.

What do you think?

Re: Live Sound PA speakers [message #52440 is a reply to message #52437] Tue, 12 August 2008 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Four π loudspeakers are very capable. They're basically prosound monitors with precision care in crossover and driver placement for high quality, high-fidelity sound. Because of their high efficiency and attention to quality, they've been popular with high-end audiophiles running low power tube gear. But they are made to handle a lot of power and stay clean. You can hit them with 600 watts all day long. At 98dB/W/M and very low power compression, that gives you over 120dB/M maximum output. Add subs and you're set.

Club installation of four π loudspeakers

Pole mounting bracket. was Re: Live Sound PA speakers [message #52450 is a reply to message #52440] Wed, 13 August 2008 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cootcraig is currently offline  cootcraig
Chancellor

Hopefully I'll have time and money by fall to build up 2 Four Pi kits. I will want to mount them on pole stage stands. What kind of mounting bracket should I look for?

Some thing like the link?

Re: Pole mounting bracket. was Re: Live Sound PA speakers [message #52452 is a reply to message #52450] Wed, 13 August 2008 12:05 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That looks like it will work just fine.

Previous Topic: pi6's need a home
Next Topic: Two Towers tweeters
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 16:30:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio