Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » need advice in repairing RTR300D
need advice in repairing RTR300D [message #52411] Mon, 04 August 2008 22:55 Go to next message
Ben S is currently offline  Ben S
Esquire
I hope that non-pi speakers are fair game in this forum (if not, please say so!)

I guy at work was giving away a pair of RTR300D towers. They are 3 way speakers with 2 10" woofers, a dome mid and a dome tweeter each. The cabinets are in pretty good shape, but the foam that attaches the cone to the basket on the woofers is brittle and a lot of it has cracked or fallen off. I'm also suspicious about the condition of the mid and tweeter since the woofers are so bad off. It sounds like RTR is long out of business and there is not much info about these speakers on the web. What options do I have for restoring these guys? re-foaming? speaker replacement? I'm pretty new to speaker building, so any advice would be appreciated.

cheers
Ben

Re: need advice in repairing RTR300D [message #52412 is a reply to message #52411] Tue, 05 August 2008 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Refoam is easy. You can get kits and do it yourself or take the drivers to any competent reconer. While you're there, have 'em test the mids.

Re: need advice in repairing RTR300D [message #52414 is a reply to message #52412] Tue, 05 August 2008 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben S is currently offline  Ben S
Esquire
Wayne, thanks for the reply.

I googled 'speaker refoam' and got a bunch of hits - any advice on good or bad suppliers? Also, any advice on choosing the correct refoam kit? Most of the kits are intended for specific speakers and RtR is not on any of the lists.

cheers
Ben

Re: need advice in repairing RTR300D [message #52415 is a reply to message #52414] Tue, 05 August 2008 23:38 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Call David Miller at Speakerworks: (800) 526-8879 I'll bet he'll know exactly what surround will work best.

Previous Topic: Premium Stage 4 Pi - what are they worth? (Pics)
Next Topic: one- Pi tunning freq.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 12:04:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout