Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Lab 12 cabinet design
Lab 12 cabinet design [message #52373] Thu, 24 July 2008 07:21 Go to next message
PaulW is currently offline  PaulW
Viscount
Hi Wayne, could you email me the plans for the 4.5cuft design you have for the Lab 12's (as discussed in some other posts). I'm gradually tuning the room for my 7Pi's (they are getting better all the time) but would like to explore adding in a pair of these in passive mode, wired in parallel to the 7 Pi bass units - could you also advise me as to any electronic components I may need to add and how/where (I'm totally non-technical, just OK at woodwork :¬)

Thanks

Paul W

You've got mail! [message #52374 is a reply to message #52373] Thu, 24 July 2008 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'll send plans. As for the connection, you could wire them in parallel with a large coil in series with the sub, but you'll need to use an amp with the capability of driving a low impedance load. It will dip as low as 3Ω if you wire it in parallel like this, so be sure your amp is OK with that.

Re: You've got mail! [message #52376 is a reply to message #52374] Thu, 24 July 2008 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PaulW is currently offline  PaulW
Viscount
Thanks I'll look forward to getting the plans. As for "a large coil" would you have a spec in mind, working in the area of Health Care and not electronics, the ones I have access to won't be any good!

I have made my Bottlehead Paramours with switchable output of 4 and 8 ohms, but was considering the MagneQuest iron upgrade, but these are only available at 8 and 16 ohms - always the option of a plate amp as you suggested earlier.

Paul W.

Re: You've got mail! [message #52377 is a reply to message #52376] Thu, 24 July 2008 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I would suggest using 10mH. If you can get a plate amp, that would even be better.

Re: You've got mail! [message #52379 is a reply to message #52377] Thu, 24 July 2008 22:05 Go to previous message
Chris R. is currently offline  Chris R.
Viscount
Hey Paul,

I have to second Wayne's recommendation for getting plate amps.
With those, you get a built-in variable crossover, with some, switchable
or variable phase control, easy level setting, auto-powerdown, etc.
PE puts various ones on sale every so often.
Chris

Previous Topic: Four Pi crossovers
Next Topic: 4 A.M. on Sunday morning
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 19:44:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers