Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 3 Pi review, and question on using bass bin as sub
3 Pi review, and question on using bass bin as sub [message #52342] Fri, 18 July 2008 21:16 Go to next message
Champion is currently offline  Champion
Baron
Hi all, a short review and a few more construction photos on my 3 pi.

One question - any one tried to use the 3 pi (or other) bass bin as a subwoofer? Any idea on how to design a crossover for such purpose? I don't very deep bass, but something to around 30Hz and give a slight boost on the bass for my Merlin TSM would be great. Just want to have some fun.

Thanks.

Re: 3 Pi review, and question on using bass bin as sub [message #52343 is a reply to message #52342] Fri, 18 July 2008 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Nice review, thanks for posting!

As for using the three π as a sub, sure, you could do it. It provides nice full rich bass that doesn't draw attention to itself. But it is really designed for use as a full range speaker, and you can get deeper bass from a design tuned for use specifically as a subwoofer. One example is a LAB12 woofer in a 4.5ft3 cabinet tuned to 22Hz. I can send plans if you're interested.

Bass bin as sub and reckhorn [message #52354 is a reply to message #52343] Sun, 20 July 2008 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Champion is currently offline  Champion
Baron
Hi Wayne, besides the extension, how is the quality of the bass bin compare to a real sub? Is it not as flat/fast as a real sub?

BTW, anyone has experience with the reckhorn A400/A401 sub amps? Seems very reasonably priced and with plenty of controls. Are they of good quality?

Re: Bass bin as sub and reckhorn [message #52355 is a reply to message #52354] Sun, 20 July 2008 12:45 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The three π cabinet is slightly overdamped, which tends to make the bass sound "fast". It has a slow gradual lower rolloff which never gets boomy, even when parameters shift from use at high power levels or when the loudspeaker is used in small rooms. That's usually plenty for most people, and I'd say 95% of the people use them that way. In fact, I can't think of anyone that's bothered to augment them with a sub.

It's just that a subwoofer that's tuned for lower frequency extension will go deeper, that's all. The three π will just hit 30Hz, but a dedicated sub is usually going strong at that frequency and will go all the way down to 20Hz or below.

If you want the real deep bass at earthshaking levels, like for home theater, then adding subs is an easy way to do it. They're also very useful for smoothing room modes in problem rooms with no damping. In that case, you're not looing for additional output at all, you're just filling in holes caused by exaggerated room modes. Either way, the subs are fairly easy upgrades, if wanted or needed.

Previous Topic: Pi Speakers
Next Topic: 4 speaker stereo setup Phased up, 4 one-Pi's
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 18:43:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout