Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2226 Box size questions, or, where're my ears?
2226 Box size questions, or, where're my ears? [message #52338] Fri, 18 July 2008 09:35 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The new crossovers deserve a new box, and, BTW, I found a plywood at work (Lowes item #161485 - $36.00)that looks like the old 'marine' plywoood with no discernible voids and an "A" side.

I'm pondering the following box parameters:

The 4 Pi Pro has 3 cu ft with the horn center about 20" above the floor,

The JBLPro recommended enclosure guide has 4 cu ft with the horn center (perched on top) about 28" above the floor with a clunky depth of 18",

My current box has 4 cu ft and the horn center 35" above the floor.

All 3 are tuned to 40 hz.

My ears, when I'm seated in my listening chair, are 37 " above the floor.

I haven't heard the 4Pi Pro since Lima, and that was in the auditorium with a Kilomax, so I have no way to judge the relative merits of the 2 different box volumes. Spkrman thinks the 3677 cabinet size with it's shallow depth sounds better than a shorter, deeper cabinet and it puts the center of the horn at nearly ear level which is why I built my current box that size: 21Wx32Hx13D.

I definitely trust Wayne's judgement on using the smaller box but the horn is low and I'm not comfortable with angling the cabinet upward, changing the coupling to the floor. If I go with the 3 cu ft box I'll probably build a lower chamber filled with sand to raise the height (*** that must be where Plant and Krauss got the idea for the name of their new CD!***), but, oh, my back.

OTOH, I really like the quality and quantity of the bass and lower mids with 4 cu ft and the new crossover.

What's a boy to do?

Build several 2226 cabinets! [message #52339 is a reply to message #52338] Fri, 18 July 2008 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Bill,

Then you can tell all of us how they differ!

Have you damped your cabinets to kill off the bad vibrations yet?

BTW - My MC-240 is on its way home. I'm tired of SS sound for now. Plenty of volume, lacks the magic of tubes!

Regards, Ron

Re: 2226 Box size questions, or, where're my ears? [message #52340 is a reply to message #52338] Fri, 18 July 2008 12:19 Go to previous message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
depending on the size of the room, I'm not that worried about the ear level "rule", especially with a horn. I think that started when those highly directional 1" tweeters were the rage. I like the size of the Pi4 cabs in my room and there's excellent dispersion all over, up and down and across.

Speaking of Plant and Krauss, I saw them a week or so ago and it was an incredible show! I hadn't heard any of the album and didn't know what to expect, but it blew everyone away. They did songs from the album, a few Zeppers (Black Dog was great!), and Allison did a few solo, including going down to the river to pray. If there'd been a river, everyone would have been in it! If you get a chance to see them don't miss it.

Previous Topic: Question about completed crossovers
Next Topic: 1-PI x-over???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 15:11:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout