Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi 7 thread on HiFi WigWam
Pi 7 thread on HiFi WigWam [message #52224] Wed, 18 June 2008 23:27 Go to next message
Dave Wellman is currently offline  Dave Wellman
Esquire

Good documentation of a Pi 7 corner horn build with pics. Nice running review. For those interested:

Re: Pi 7 thread on HiFi WigWam [message #52225 is a reply to message #52224] Thu, 19 June 2008 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
Nice pages and great work! I hope you enjoy them for a long time. Thanks for taking the time to post all the ups and downs of the project-fun read.

Re: Pi 7 thread on HiFi WigWam [message #52226 is a reply to message #52225] Thu, 19 June 2008 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dave Wellman is currently offline  Dave Wellman
Esquire

It's not mine but I have been following the thread............

Re: Pi 7 thread on HiFi WigWam [message #52227 is a reply to message #52226] Thu, 19 June 2008 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
that's cool. It's a nice thread. One thing I'd point out to him is it could take some time to break those Omega 15's in with SET gear. I went through that. New ones have a stiff suspension to be able to handle few hundred watts, and they need to move to get loose. I finally hooked up an Adcom ss-amp and played Tupac very loud through them when I went out for several days. My poor dog...

Re: Pi 7 thread on HiFi WigWam [message #52228 is a reply to message #52227] Fri, 20 June 2008 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PaulW is currently offline  PaulW
Viscount
Hi Matts,

I did indeed hook the speakers up to a solid state amp and they had about 7 days of continous use before I sat down to listen closely. Not, I hasten to add with Tupac (whatever that is!) but with a system burn-in disc which exercises the whole frequency range evenly, perhaps I'll re-visit this and give them a bit more of a workout. They are still changing both in performance and tone, which is why the room treatment isn't going to be permanently installed just yet.

It was (and is) an interesting project, but I'm not convinced they will be my long term speakers as I do feel the are perhaps too large (not physically but sonically) for the room - time will tell.

Paul.

Re: Pi 7 thread on HiFi WigWam [message #52232 is a reply to message #52228] Fri, 20 June 2008 14:47 Go to previous message
Grand Master
Tupac is a 90's hip-hop artist- he will get the woofers loosened up quickly with enough watts behind it. I didn't care too much about the mid's and high freq's for break-in, just getting the cone on the woofer loosened up. Yours will get there. I can imagine the 7's are a huge sound in the size room you have- I imagine it would be like being in a set of really nice headphones. I'm just finishing a pair of Pi 4's w/ 2226's, B & C drivers, and Auricaps and Mills, and some huge custom coils in the xover. I should have them ready tonight.... Enjoyed reading about your project- you're next one will be easier, no doubt about that!!

Previous Topic: lab12
Next Topic: Premium Stage 4 Pi Owner, been away for a while
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 06:40:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout