Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2Pis done
2Pis done [message #52052] Sun, 20 April 2008 02:52 Go to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Finished the 2Pi project sometime last week. I had been breaking them in on an old Bottlehead PARASex amp, and they sounded very nice. I then hooked the Pis up to my newly acquired PPP 6L6 amps. One word: DAMN. Can't wait to finish the 7Pis and hook these monsters up. Thanks again, Wayne.....Colin

PPP

Re: 2Pis done [message #52053 is a reply to message #52052] Sun, 20 April 2008 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Ver good lookin'.

I'll bet Enoch Light and Montovani sounds great.

Re: 2Pis done [message #52054 is a reply to message #52053] Sun, 20 April 2008 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Those looke great, Colin! What kind of wood are your tweeter boxes made out of?

Re: 2Pis done [message #52055 is a reply to message #52052] Sun, 20 April 2008 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Very nice! Maybe I'll get mine finished in this lifetime.

If you happen to have a clear pic of the speaker I'd love to add it onto my site below.

You can email me one if you want--(large a pic as you want to send).
shanemmail-forums at yahoo dot com.

Re: 2Pis done [message #52057 is a reply to message #52055] Sun, 20 April 2008 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Let me get some nice pics of my One and Two Pis. Thanks for asking. There are some real gems on your site!!!!....C

Re: 2Pis done [message #52058 is a reply to message #52057] Mon, 21 April 2008 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanks. I would finish my Two Pi's if I could work up the nerve to veneer them. They will have a solid oak base and top plate, with maple on the sides, back, and center of the front. Then there will be two 1.5"x .75" strips of solid oak matching the base running up the outside edges of the front. I built the "center strip" front baffle out, so there will be around 1/8" difference between the oak strips and the center.

Re: 2Pis done [message #52068 is a reply to message #52052] Thu, 24 April 2008 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
crazychile is currently offline  crazychile
Baron
Those look really nice!
I'm about to build some Pi 2 Towers and was thinking about separating the tweeter sort of like you did. Have you ever heard a textbook pair of Pi 2's compared to your design? I was wondering about how much better yours imaged than a standard pair.

Thanks,
crazychile

Acoustic source position [message #52075 is a reply to message #52068] Fri, 25 April 2008 12:41 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Note about acoustic position of the one π, two π and two π tower speakers:

When the woofer and tweeter are mounted on the same baffle, the acoustic distance is the same when you listen directly on-axis with the midwoofer. On-axis with the tweeter, the tweeter is closer than the woofer. In between the woofer and tweeter, you're still slightly closer to the tweeter. But when you're on axis with the midwoofer, the acosutic sources are both exactly the same distance.

The midwoofer of a two π tower is just about perfect ear-level when seated. That's where you want a one π or two π speaker to be.

Naturally, if you angle the speaker back or mount on two different baffles, these relationships change. You should set them where the path lengths are equal at the desired listening position. You can angle up or down the line of path length equality by moving the tweeter forward or back.

Previous Topic: Rear port
Next Topic: Just sayin' Hi!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 05:56:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout