Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Mid-horn flare; how critical are the dimensions?
Mid-horn flare; how critical are the dimensions? [message #51988] Tue, 08 April 2008 15:06 Go to next message
DavidK is currently offline  DavidK
Esquire
Hi,

Decided to give the 7 Pi a shot and started with the Mid-Horn section. Now due to some poor cutting on my part I've ended up with the mouth of the flare being undersized. I've got 23 and 5/8's by 11 and 3/4's. The other dimension that has ended up under size is the edge of the flare to throat on the side panels 14" instead of 14 and 1/2. Throat size is correct as is the throat to flare distance of the top and bottom panels. So have I wasted a day making some oblong pyramids, or can I go ahead and use these? Any likely problems. I have to say they were a real pain to put together and I don't really want to scrap them and start over if they are usable.

Dave

Re: Mid-horn flare; how critical are the dimensions? [message #51989 is a reply to message #51988] Tue, 08 April 2008 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Even though it is a large horn, it is actually undersized at the lowest frequencies and benefits from corner placement. You don't want to make it any smaller if you can help it. I suggest adding trim to the front of the cabinet that extends the mouth. We add hardwood trim to our midhorn cabinets for aesthetics, and it actually extends the mouth a little bit. See the photo below, you'll notice the trim added to the front of the horn, forming the mouth edge. We bevel the trim to match the flare angle. You could also radius the edge to soften it if you wanted.

Re: Mid-horn flare; how critical are the dimensions? [message #51990 is a reply to message #51989] Tue, 08 April 2008 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris R is currently offline  Chris R
Master
"Even though it is a large horn, it is actually undersized"

I'm sure my wife would disagree with this statement, and no I'm not trading her in for one that would agree with it.

Re: Mid-horn flare; how critical are the dimensions? [message #51991 is a reply to message #51989] Tue, 08 April 2008 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DavidK is currently offline  DavidK
Esquire
Thanks, I'll do just that - guess I should have stumped up for the flare kit, would have saved lots of effort.

Dave.

Re: Mid-horn flare; how critical are the dimensions? [message #51992 is a reply to message #51990] Tue, 08 April 2008 23:43 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Previous Topic: Older version Theater 4 Pi
Next Topic: 7pi crossover plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 01:08:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers