Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi speaker highs
Pi speaker highs [message #51823] Thu, 14 February 2008 15:13 Go to next message
Champion is currently offline  Champion
Baron
Most of the Pi speakers (with horn tweeters) have a upper frequency limit of 16khz, in contrast to 20kHz for most conventional speakers. Does anyone find the speakers lack of high frequencies? And any of you use a super tweeter to extend the top? And what do you use? Thanks.

Re: Pi speaker highs [message #51824 is a reply to message #51823] Thu, 14 February 2008 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm sure you'll get a variety of good opinions. Lots of people have reported good sound with and without super-tweeters. For my thoughts, see the link below:

Re: Pi speaker highs [message #51826 is a reply to message #51823] Fri, 15 February 2008 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
There are some compression driver/horn combinations that will reach up to 18 khz.

I prefer the limited bandwidth capabilities of a good 2-way system for its 3D imaging and ability to convey geographic location of musical instraments.

When adding a tweeter to the mix, I have found the imaging to suffer a small amount. So while adding some "air" on top is not always a plus to me.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Ron

Re: Pi speaker highs [message #51827 is a reply to message #51823] Fri, 15 February 2008 16:01 Go to previous message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
It's hard for numbers or statistics to tell the truth, but they are excellent for marketing! Many commercial speakers that advertise up to 20khz may not deliver as much hi-freq as the Pi's, the ones that do may sound very "etched". I've thought about putting a little supertweeter on mine a couple times, but don't want to mess with a good thing. If you use the B & C driver, you'll get a little extra clarity up top.

Previous Topic: What should i buy: Pi Seven/JBL drivers or a Klipschorn?
Next Topic: For Sale; Seven Pi Proffesional Pair JBL in Cherry.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:13:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio