Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi crossover data needed
Pi crossover data needed [message #51785] Fri, 01 February 2008 12:57 Go to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi Wayne!

I lost the file for the schematics when my pc had problems recently.

Could you send to my e-mail address that file again!

Thanks much!

Regards, Ron

You've got mail! [message #51788 is a reply to message #51785] Fri, 01 February 2008 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Watch for updates though, because I've been working on upgraded crossovers for some models.

The cable assemblies for the tweeter are labor intensive, so I decided to have crossover PCBs made that have room for them. While I was at it, I made room for various configurations and possibilities. The board is 6" x 12" and has room for a two-way or three-way circuit. The tweeter circuit can be made 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th order, depending on how it is populated. The midrange (or midwoofer, if two-way) circuit can also be made 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th order. The woofer circuit can be either 1st or 2nd order. In addition, the mid and tweeter circuit has room for attentuation resistors, with the mid being a traditional pad and the tweeter being the same R1/R2/C1 form as used for the past few years. The mid attenuator has room for a bypass inductor, as is used on the eight π speaker. So this PCB is very versatile, and will make building my speakers and kits much easier and better.

Thanks Wayne! [message #51790 is a reply to message #51788] Sat, 02 February 2008 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I was very much intrigued with the circuit you sent me.

I will have some comments to send to you offline concerning 2226 and your design.

Regards, Ron

PCB Crossovers [message #51797 is a reply to message #51788] Mon, 04 February 2008 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jshoc is currently offline  jshoc
Chancellor
Wayne,

Will you be selling unpopulated PCB's?
I have a 4 Pi with JBL 2226 (8ohm) and 2446's (16ohm) with home brew crossovers. Would the PCB's lend itself to accommadating variations?

Jim

Re: PCB Crossovers [message #51865 is a reply to message #51797] Thu, 28 February 2008 17:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You betcha. We have plenty of them in stock.You'll notice from the schematic and component layout below that the board can be populated many ways. As an example, the tweeter circuit can be made first through fourth order, with or without padding and top octave compensation. If first or second order is desired, position C3 should be jumpered. Likewise, the midrange (or midwoofer, depending on model) circuit can be made first through fourth order, with or without padding. L3 may be jumpered for first or second order networks, or resistors R4(a-d) may be populated instead. They can be used together for LF augmentation, using R4/R5 padding with inductor L3 bypass. Last but not least, there is a place to put the coil L4 used in the woofer circuit of the cornerhorn.

I basically made this board capable of supporting my whole line of speakers (except one π and two π) without having to resort to putting components in cable assemblies. There is ample room to mount every component for each of the models. The only exception is the Zobel resistor R3 is mounted off-board. It has mounting holes and is designed for chassis mount, so you wouldn't want to mount it on the circuit board. It is connected to the PCB with spade lugs instead. In some cases component locations are shared in the midrange/midwoofer circuit, where two models have two different configurations. But there is plenty of room for everything, and it is easy to lay it all out with the traces and lands provided.

http://www.pispeakers.com/Pi_Crossover_PCB_schematic.gif
π Crossover PCB schematic

http://www.pispeakers.com/Pi_Crossover_PCB.gif
π Crossover PCB component layout

Re: Pi crossover data needed [message #60524 is a reply to message #51785] Thu, 06 August 2009 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feket663 is currently offline  feket663
Chancellor
Hello everyone! I'm from Hungary and have some stupid question about crossover theme.
I'd like a build a 4π speaker, but in Hungary, availability of specific components is limited, shipping from USA is expensive, therefore I can't order the finished crossover.
the questions: If I'm using these speakers with 3,5 W 2a3 SE amp, can I use smaller power resistors in x over (especially in R3 position)?
I did't find 0,5 mH air core inductors, just 0,47 or 0,56 mH. Is this good for me?
I'm sorry, I don't understand the physics of crossovers.
Thanks for help!
Re: Pi crossover data needed [message #60529 is a reply to message #60524] Thu, 06 August 2009 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You can use fewer or lower power resistors if the power applied is low. As for the 0.5mH coil, you can substitute 0.47mH with no problems.

Re: Pi crossover data needed [message #60530 is a reply to message #60529] Thu, 06 August 2009 10:47 Go to previous message
feket663 is currently offline  feket663
Chancellor
Wayne! Thanks a fast reply.
Previous Topic: wood midhorn
Next Topic: Pi 7 Plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 16:00:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio