Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 12Piv2 plans
12Piv2 plans [message #51747] Mon, 21 January 2008 08:53 Go to next message
joe p is currently offline  joe p
Esquire
Hi Wayne,

Good to know the v2 plans are ready. Got the v1 plans, but been waiting to look at the v2 before starting to build...
Could you please send the v2 plans?
How many people can be covered with a set of 4 subs, outdoors? Rock music - live - and dance music recorded.
What tops would you suggest for a stack of 4-6 subs?
Anyone using the 12Pi already? Any reviews?
Thanks,

Joe P

12Pi v2 [message #51748 is a reply to message #51747] Mon, 21 January 2008 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You can do a lot with just four 12π hornsubs. I'll let people using them respond with comments on what you can expect from them. That way you can hear what other people say about subjective sound quality and things like that.

As for technical details and specifications, the different versions are more alike than they are different, but the latest version is a little easier to build and has the smoothest response. Even with just one box, you have nice deep, smooth response down to 30Hz with very low distortion. It's even better when you have four or more. Measurements show the 12π hornsub is about 10x more powerful and has smoother response than most other subs, and has about 10x less distortion. I'm very proud of the performance measurements of this subwoofer.

The 12π hornsub is a large cabinet, but it is surprisingly easy to move with the right equipment. The wheels are placed between the ramp rails of a 16' or larger truck, so two guys can easily roll 'em on and off a truck. You just rock them back on the wheels using the handle, and one guy pulls from the handle while the other guy pushes and directs from the mouth side. You can fit twelve of these subs in a 16' truck with lots of room above the subs for other gear.

Any user reviews? [message #51760 is a reply to message #51748] Thu, 24 January 2008 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joe p is currently offline  joe p
Esquire
Thanks for the plans!

Anyone using the 12Pi? How does it compare with commercial subs? How many people can be covered with 4-6 12Pis?

Comparison with other subs [message #51761 is a reply to message #51760] Thu, 24 January 2008 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The 12π basshorn is a commercial sub but it is also available as a kit and plans are distributed at no cost. You can see comparisons with other subs at the links below. I'm biased of course, but I don't think there's a better sub out there. Certainly in terms of measurements, the amplitude response is flattest of all the horns, distortion is lowest and SPL is highest. I think you'll get a few reviews eventually but most of the guys running these things don't check in very often. They're out on the road doing gigs.

Re: Any user reviews? [message #51767 is a reply to message #51760] Fri, 25 January 2008 12:36 Go to previous message
MG is currently offline  MG
Esquire
Hi Joe, I was one of the first to build from the proto plans and i have built both labs and 12pi basshorns. Both are good but the 12pi have the edge. 12pi sounds more powerful and and less resonant. 12pi basshorns are tight sounding, deep but tight. I like my 12pi horns much better and have started making more. Use flatpack kits because the cooling plug is a b** to get right if you cut your own,you really need the precision of cnc to get everything aligned right.

Look at the charts on the prosoundshootout.com website,12pi distortion is very low. This is why the 12pi sounds tighter. It makes less distortion than the labhorn,you can hear the difference bigtime. It also makes more bass. The labhorn has a suckout below 50hz so the 12pi sounds deeper and more powerful. don't even think about bumping up the deep bass on a lab to compensate because if you push up the bass at say 20hz then it will make mostly distortion. 12pi doesn't have this problem. It only makes the real sound,no distortion,so what you hear is real signal period. Michael

Previous Topic: Three pi sub
Next Topic: Pi 12 v2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 13:09:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout