Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » No size limit on HT subwoofer, help please
No size limit on HT subwoofer, help please [message #51679] Sun, 06 January 2008 06:48 Go to next message
Rick P is currently offline  Rick P
Esquire
I finally have a dedicated HT room in which my wife has agreed to let me design, so speaker size or looks is not a problem. (I have a great wife!) I want to build a subwoofer that goes as low and has much pressure as possible, are horns the best?. My room is 13x23x8.5 and is sealed with an exterior door, it has 2x4 double walls and ceiling, double drywall on interior wall, r-13 insulation in both walls with a 3" air gap in between, and a concrete floor at this time. (brand new with nothing in it yet) Also I could use help on acustical devises such as bass traps ect. to keep the sound from going throughout the house. Thaks in advance for all your help.

Rick.

Re: No size limit on HT subwoofer, help please [message #51682 is a reply to message #51679] Sun, 06 January 2008 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm thinking the 12π basshorn subwoofer may be a bit much. It was designed for outdoor use or very large arenas and is overkill for home hifi. But if you want the most powerful, lowest distortion and highest fidelity possible, it's the sub for you.

Re: No size limit on HT subwoofer, help please [message #51683 is a reply to message #51682] Sun, 06 January 2008 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
The 12pi is one I am considering, but it only appears to go down to about 30Hz. Can the horn be modified along with different speakers to reach into the 10Hz range? What about an IB speaker set up? Does an IB rattle everything in your attic?

Thanks, Rick.

Re: No size limit on HT subwoofer, help please [message #51684 is a reply to message #51683] Sun, 06 January 2008 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

No, the 12π is not suitable for use under 30Hz. I wouldn't recommend any horn for use at the frequencies you're talking about. I suggest a large driver with low Fs, or more likely several of them. For use at infrasonic bass frequencies, you really need low resonance and high displacement. Infinite baffle mounted in a wall or ceiling would probably be a good way to go.

Re: No size limit on HT subwoofer, help please [message #51685 is a reply to message #51682] Mon, 07 January 2008 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
If strictly for HT, the dayton Titanic is hard to beat. Sucks for music, tho', always muddies the mid-range.

Mine, in a 4 cu ft box with 4"x 17" port is flat to 17Hz and shakes the building effortlessly.

Re: No size limit on HT subwoofer, help please [message #51688 is a reply to message #51685] Mon, 07 January 2008 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Looks good. If I wanted response down to below 20Hz for home theater, I'd do the same thing. It is tuned right for the deep notes and isn't too big.

Re: No size limit on HT subwoofer, help please [message #51691 is a reply to message #51679] Mon, 07 January 2008 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
Rick,
Take a look at www.rythmikaudio.com. Brian caters to the DIY crowd and his design can hit 14 HZ. The site is filled with a lot of useful information. I purchased a kit over a year ago, and being too busy these days, just started construction a couple of days ago!
The kits appear first rate. The woofer is custom built by TC Sounds. I can't imagine a better solution for both home theater and music. A big plus is a very reasonable cost factor.
Steve

Re: No size limit on HT subwoofer, help please [message #51692 is a reply to message #51688] Tue, 08 January 2008 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rickp is currently offline  rickp
Esquire
Looks good thanks for the help.
Rick.

Re: No size limit on HT subwoofer, help please [message #51693 is a reply to message #51691] Tue, 08 January 2008 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I like that servo drive system. It's a true servo system (using feedback) rather than just a name. Without some mechanism to reduce distortion, subwoofer distortion is usually high double digits or even triple digits. The 12π hornsub reduces distortion using push-pull drive. Horn loading also reduces distortion and makes it capable of very high output, 105dB/W and 138dB max output. Other good subs reduce distortion with shorting rings or differential drive. Without some mechanism to reduce distortion, subs can really sound flabby to me.

Re: No size limit on HT subwoofer, help please [message #51695 is a reply to message #51691] Tue, 08 January 2008 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Esquire
Steve thanks for the web sight, you are right there is a lot of good info there. Please let me know how you like yours.
Thanks again , Rick

Previous Topic: Gaskets
Next Topic: Pi 8 Plans?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:53:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers