Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » New Year, New Place !
New Year, New Place ! [message #51663] Tue, 01 January 2008 07:16 Go to next message
Scott L is currently offline  Scott L
Chancellor
Greetings and Happy New Year to all ! I just found this place, and all it's spin-offs. I must say the level of quality in posting and persons here is about 1000% a higher degree in quality than in the you-know-where sites. I kinda know Wayne from the past, in the old style forum, and he has always been a gentlemen. I'm a seven year member of the high-efficiency camp.
I built my 1st speaker at age 14, which is 35 years ago !
I really enjoy reading everyones' adventures/ challenges. I'm tickled by the I.B. in the attic, and by a guy actually using his basement for a sound system. Guys actually doing stuff on a large or Grand scale, rather than the other sites, who have tinkerors asking for their wife's permission. You know who they are: the ones wanting a one cubic foot subwoofer box; flat to 20Hz, and a cost of $59.95 !

On Bass Slam: I could never even approximate it at my home listening venue until I went with PRO drivers. As far as live, well the two times I heard it best was with a live band OUTSIDE, with a solid concrete wall behind the performers.

Happy New Year to everyone.

Re: New Year, New Place ! New PROJECTS !!! [message #51664 is a reply to message #51663] Tue, 01 January 2008 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Glad to see you here, and Happy New Years!

Since you've started a New Year's thread here, seems a great place to talk about new projects. Sort of like New Year's resolutions.

What's everyone working on? What are your plans for 2008?

Here are the top two on my list:

• Testing the v2 12π basshorn subwoofer with LMS and comparing it with v1.
  • Using the Smith and Larson Speaker Tester to make better Spice models of the crossovers used in all models of π Speakers.

To expound on that last item, I've been talking with Keith Larson a lot lately and I'm very excited about this process. He has written software that improves on Spice models by allowing actual driver impedance to be used as a component. My Spice models for π Speaker crossovers model the driver as a complex load with Re, Le and tank circuits to model mechanical and/or acoustic resonance. They're pretty good models, certainly much better than what you get using a fixed resistance as a load value. But the ability to substitute an actual impedance chart goes a step beyond that and will let me have better visibility of the actual behavior of the circuit. With this improved visibility, I may be able to further optimize the crossovers.

I've started making measurements of the drivers on various horns, so you can download them here and follow along in the process, if you're interested.

• Re: New Year, New Place ! New PROJECTS !!! [message #51666 is a reply to message #51664] Fri, 04 January 2008 19:53 Go to previous message
    Chris R is currently offline  Chris R
    Master
    > What's everyone working on? What are your plans for 2008?

Since this thread is too quiet, I'll bite...
    My latest project is to get another power amp, a Beheringer digital crossover, some horns, etc. so I can try out the
    Selenium D250-X's I got, coupled with some APT-50's with a passive crossover (too cheap to buy a third amp). Depending on how this
    works with my Pi-4's, I might get/build a set of Wayne's midhorns. My issue isn't so much with spending the money, but explaining to my wife why I might
    want "more speakers." Its a bit of a game I don't mind playing.
    It is an expensive experiment to test $60 worth of drivers. Is this hobby a bit nutty or what?

Chris

Previous Topic: 12Pi v2
    Next Topic: 12Pi v2
    Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 21:06:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
    DIY Audio Projects
    OddWatt Audio
    OddWatt Audio
    Pi Speakers
    Pi Speakers