Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Tweakin' agin
Tweakin' agin [message #51646] Sat, 22 December 2007 09:43 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Have a pretty nice integrated amp in for review and it intermittently distorts with lower dBs on one channel. The M sent me a set of new tubes. Trouble-shooting pointed to them but also could have been the crossover.

I've meant to rebuild the Eminence 1.6ks for some time and this was a good excuse. Removed the compnents from the PCB and caulk'd em to a piece of plywood.

That included a set of Edison Price Muisc Posts that had already proved thir worth along with Obbligato oils, a Jantzen 8.0 from PE and a honlin' big 15ga. Jantzen .6mH tweeter coil.

No more connectors; all point-to-point.

Crossover sounds great and definitely not the culprit.

Now the amp is playing fine having been distorting on first try. That makes a tube problem doubtful. More likely an SMD, especially the Dact attenuator.

Enjoying Laura Nyro while it stays working right.

Have a Tweakin' Good Christmas, all!

Re: Tweakin' agin [message #51649 is a reply to message #51646] Sun, 23 December 2007 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I hate those litle intermittent problems. Sometimes they're more irritating than if the whole thing went up in smoke.

Re: Problem seems to be gone [message #51654 is a reply to message #51649] Tue, 25 December 2007 19:29 Go to previous message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Must have been the crossover which is a relief as returning the amp, getting another, etc really screws up the schedule. Good amp, too.

Previous Topic: Placement
Next Topic: Merry Christmas everyone!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 11:01:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout