Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Wayne, try the Aerovox caps yet?
Wayne, try the Aerovox caps yet? [message #51582] Thu, 06 December 2007 06:36 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'm burning in the Obbligato Oil and aluminim film right now in their place. About 20 hours so far. They're 22uF vs. the Aerovox 20.

The bass has more weight and the mids and treble a little more detailed with the Obbligatos. Not sure whether I like the latter better. Perhaps the additional 2 uF is giving the additional bass weight?

Re: Wayne, try the Aerovox caps yet? [message #51584 is a reply to message #51582] Thu, 06 December 2007 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
Bill, since we have the same motors now (in one channel- I'm still waiting for a replacement 2226H), I'm interested in this. I have a pair of Obligato 22uF's that I haven't installed yet. I have 21uF of combined North Creeks in there now, and they weren't rated high on the review page you linked, but they are serving the DE250 with the poyamdididie (wahtever) diaphragm, and they sound pretty good. How are you figuring them into the bass? Are you using them in the high freq part of the xover? you mean more lower freqs around the cutoff point?

Re: Wayne, try the Aerovox caps yet? [message #51585 is a reply to message #51584] Thu, 06 December 2007 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Sure, the high frequency. The cut-off point has to be different either with the additonal 2 uF or electrical character or both. Doesn't seem like it should but then there you are. Deeper, stronger bass.

Re: Wayne, try the Aerovox caps yet? [message #51586 is a reply to message #51582] Thu, 06 December 2007 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I have installed the Aerovox caps, thanks. At first, I was going to put them in the seven π crossovers but then I thought the tower two π might even be better for evaluation. They have just the one series cap on the tweeter and that would help identify its sonic influence better. So I series paired a couple to make 10uF and put them in the tower two's. I haven't been able to sit quietly with them to evaluate though, with all the things going on, Eddie running around, holiday stuff and all that jazz.

I thought about taking a couple crossover cable assemblies to Steve Brown's place because we're having a local audio club get together on Saturday. It would be interesting for all of us to A/B the Aerovox and Solen capacitors with a switch. The thing is, I loaned Steve two π's with the old tweeters in them. I don't think we'd have time to swap tweeters, so the cables are of no use. I don't really want to take the tower two π's there either because we'll be pressed for space. Maybe next time when we all get together we can do it. Might even get some other capacitors too, and compare various brands. We've been wanting to do that for a while.

Re: Wayne, try the Aerovox caps yet? [message #51587 is a reply to message #51585] Thu, 06 December 2007 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
the UPS man just rang the bell and gave me my 8-ohm replacement 2226. I think I'll go ahead and put one of the 22uF Obligato's in and see what it does, then I can A/B it with the North Creek and go with whatever sounds better after some break-in. Do you think your increased bass might be from clearer highs or something that don't sound as loud? I"ve found that the less distortion there is the less volume is perceived even tho it may be as loud or louder.

Re: Wayne, try the Aerovox caps yet? [message #51588 is a reply to message #51587] Fri, 07 December 2007 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts_ is currently offline  Matts_
Chancellor
I went ahead and put the new 2226 in the other box, but didn't change the caps. They're so big I woulda had to do something to mount them...and I was too impatient to get stereo back again....so, Bill, please keep posting about the Obligatos as they break in, or whatever you think is great, and maybe it'll inspire me to install mine one of these days. Having the pr. of speakers again is really nice.

Re: Wayne, try the Aerovox caps yet? [message #51594 is a reply to message #51582] Mon, 10 December 2007 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'm missing something in the rating system where there are two numbers separated by a comma. What do they represent?

Re: Wayne, try the Aerovox caps yet? [message #51596 is a reply to message #51594] Mon, 10 December 2007 10:39 Go to previous message
Grand Master
that's the euro convention- they generally use commas where we use periods in no.'s and money, and vice versa.

Previous Topic: Speaker Plan Request
Next Topic: 12Pi plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 12:42:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout