Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » sub amp
sub amp [message #51011] Mon, 23 April 2007 20:55 Go to next message
tmoore is currently offline  tmoore
Chancellor
Would an inexpensive plate amp such at the Dayton unit from parts express be sufficent to drive the 3 pi subwoofer? Are there other inexpensive options?

Re: sub amp [message #51012 is a reply to message #51011] Mon, 23 April 2007 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'd run it with an amp rated 100 to 400 watts RMS into a 4Ω load. There are plenty inexpensive amps that will work. The 100, 240 or 500 watt plate amps sold by Parts Express will do just fine. If you add a cooling plug and some sort of a heat sink, you can run the 1000 watt plate amp.

Re: sub amp [message #51020 is a reply to message #51012] Tue, 24 April 2007 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Does it matter if the driver and port are facing into the room or can they be downfiring? If so how high off of the floor should the sub be positioned?

Re: sub amp [message #51022 is a reply to message #51020] Tue, 24 April 2007 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You can point them downward but it will change the acoustic/pneumatic loading on the driver slightly, so response will be affected. To know what degree and therefore how far is "best" is entirely empirical and depends on other boundaries too, like whether in an open space or near a corner. Don't take this to be words of discouragement; Far from it, I think it's a good idea. Floor loading is like corner loading. What I am saying is that there are more variables involved than just a set figure. That said, there is one figure I can suggest, and that is don't get further than 1/4λ away from a boundary at the crossover point, which is about 2 feet. If you must be further than that from a nearby boundary, try to keep it further than 1/4λ of the lower cutoff, which is 14 feet. You're usually limited by the ceiling at 8 feet. That makes a notch at 35Hz, which is still pretty good.

Re: sub amp [message #51025 is a reply to message #51011] Fri, 27 April 2007 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I'm currently building two 3 Pi subs, and I think I'm going with the 250 watt plate amp w/ remote control from parts express. However, I do not know if this particular amp has the on/auto-on feature. Personally I hate the auto-on setting. I'm giving up my 1000 watt plate amp for this very reason. There is nothing more annoying than hearing it kick on in the middle of a piece......C

Re: sub amp [message #51028 is a reply to message #51025] Sun, 29 April 2007 13:16 Go to previous message
Chancellor
I just recieved the non-remote 250 watt plate amp from parts express and it has a three position power switch with on-off and auto positions.

Previous Topic: Pi 7 frequency response
Next Topic: Truck bed liner.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 16:52:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout