Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi 7 frequency response
Pi 7 frequency response [message #50972] Tue, 17 April 2007 21:14 Go to next message
Tim Barnes is currently offline  Tim Barnes
Baron

Hi Wayne:
I was browsing your measurements folder and was a little surprised by the way the slope of the Pi Seven declines as frequency increases, and by the rapid rolloff of the tweeter at about 15KHz.

Can you explain the reasons? I'm just trying to understand the likely sound prior to making the commitment to build, and I have been under the impression that generally speaking one aims for a frequency response that is roughly flat to 20KHz, and that some people are even aiming for much higher frequencies with supertweeters.

Thanks,
tim

Re: Pi 7 frequency response [message #50973 is a reply to message #50972] Tue, 17 April 2007 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's just the nature of compression horns. They don't get much above 16kHz or so. Some people add super-tweeters, others don't feel the need. I personally would prefer a bit more on the top end, but not at the expense of integration. It's hard to seamlessly match a super-tweeter because wavelengths are so short at the crossover point.

Re: Pi 7 frequency response [message #50975 is a reply to message #50973] Tue, 17 April 2007 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
OK, I understand the top end piece. What about the more gradual slope from 500Hz to 15KHz? Is that an intended balance, or just something that's too small to notice in real life?

Sorry about the neophyte questions. I'm old enough that my top end hearing is probably done for - not sure if that means I need more or less from the high end of the speaker...

tim

Re: Pi 7 frequency response [message #50976 is a reply to message #50975] Tue, 17 April 2007 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You're right, there's an overall trend, sloping downward about 5dB over the audio band. It's within a +/-6dB window up to the top octave, but there's a general slight sloping downward. I think it's a very natural sound.

Re: Pi 7 frequency response [message #50977 is a reply to message #50976] Wed, 18 April 2007 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thank you.
tim

Re: Pi 7 frequency response [message #50978 is a reply to message #50977] Wed, 18 April 2007 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
After seeing all the 20K high frequency claims over the years, I was a little worried about this when I built my Stage 4's, but it hasn't been an issue at all. I thought I might add a supertweeter at some point, but have never felt the need. In fact, now when I listen to some of the speakers with them, it's a litttle annoying.

Re: Pi 7 frequency response [message #50981 is a reply to message #50978] Thu, 19 April 2007 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
That's good to hear. I find it difficult to judge a design without hearing it - I just don't have enough experience.

Thanks for weighing in. Have you heard the corner horns? Any other inputs about the sound and qualities of your speakers?

tim

Re: Pi 7 frequency response - HF [message #50989 is a reply to message #50976] Mon, 23 April 2007 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master
It all depends in the horn being used. For that fact, to have more high frequencies and if I was Tim, I would use SELENIUM D210Ti driver instead of Eminence PSD2002. Again, the listening window is so narrow at 16KHz that it's only 15º to the left and 15º to the right from the speaker (sweet-spot). Another way is to go with a speaker including the Vifa tweeter, flat to 20KHz and a real Hi-Fi home-runner with a large listening window both vertical and horizontal.
Cheers. ../emoticons/smiley.gif
Re: Pi 7 frequency response - HF [message #50990 is a reply to message #50989] Mon, 23 April 2007 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Dome tweeters actually have pretty narrow radiation patterns at high frequency. Intuitively, it looks like they would radiate an omnidirectional pattern but they exhibit collapsing DI according to radiator size.

LMS measurements show the response of the new π wood tweeter horn is virtually the same off-axis within a 90° x 40° angle as on-axis, even at HF above 10kHz. Response above 5kHz falls at vertical angles larger than that. I didn't measure other horns to see how they compare.

Re: Pi 7 frequency response - Splendid! [message #50991 is a reply to message #50990] Mon, 23 April 2007 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master
Hi, Splendid work Wayne. I keep watching as much as I can.
I didn't know that about domes and I will keep that on record.
Take care.
BR

Previous Topic: Spikes for Pi 4 speakers?
Next Topic: sub amp
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 30 13:35:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout