Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Spring projects...
Spring projects... [message #50919] Fri, 30 March 2007 10:28 Go to next message
themilford is currently offline  themilford
Viscount
Long time no post... sorry I haven't contributed more.

but, maybe you can help me with a few questions.

I think I'm going to move the Delta 12LFs from my Karlsons into some proper Theater 3 Pi boxes. (So Wayne I'll need some plans). I have the crossovers and comp/drivers but I have the H295 horns and wonder if I should get the H290s?

Also, I was thinking of putting the Beta-12LTs into the Karlsons... I'd like to try them with some sort of "super tweeter" like the Fostex FT17H (or the T-90A if I can get some cash together).

My last question is: can anybody here figure out what sorta crossover I'll need for this? If I just want to run the 12LT wide-open and put a cap in front of the tweet what value?

Does anybody have any experience with this set up?

Thanks guys,
David

You've got mail! [message #50921 is a reply to message #50919] Sat, 31 March 2007 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Stick with the H290 on the three π's.

As for your other speaker, generally I've found that a simple first-order works best on something like that. First-order crossovers have such wide overlap that the choice of components isn't all that critical. You have about +/-2x window there. So I'd probably suggest something like a 1.0μF to 4.7μF capacitor with a shunt damping resistor of about 12Ω to 20Ω.

Re: You've got mail! [message #50928 is a reply to message #50921] Sun, 01 April 2007 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Thanks Waye.

I'll let you know how it goes... Will I need to pad the tweeter? should I just get a cheap L-pad?

Re: You've got mail! [message #50929 is a reply to message #50928] Mon, 02 April 2007 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If you're asking about the Fostex tweeter and the Beta 12 midwoofer, then yes, I'm sure you'll want to pad the tweeter. I prefer fixed voltage dividers made with discrete resistors, but you could also use a variable L-Pad.

Re: You've got mail! [message #50934 is a reply to message #50929] Tue, 03 April 2007 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Wayne,

Actually I'm gonna try running the Beta 12 LT which has the whizzer cone... I think it goes up to about 8 or 9k. Would you recommed a smaller cap value then?

I was figuring I would get a cheap L-pad. Find the best setting. Then measure and replace with resistors.

thanks again!

Re: You've got mail! [message #50937 is a reply to message #50934] Wed, 04 April 2007 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

A 1.0μF capacitor should work just fine. If you want a little less tweeter, you might try a 0.68μF or 0.47μF cap.

Re: Discrete resistors vs. variable L-Pad [message #50939 is a reply to message #50929] Fri, 06 April 2007 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master
Hi,
Wayne, is the variable L-Pad frequency dependent, showing a different L/R "behaviour" with frequency, or just a "neutral" component more like (variable impedance) non inductive discrete resistors?
Or is it necessary to measure L-pad inductance "L" also?
Cheers.

note: I am using L-Pad's in addiction to discrete resistors to achieve a plus/minus output control that you mention earlier in your definitions of a perfect L-Pad xover design.

Re: Discrete resistors vs. variable L-Pad [message #50941 is a reply to message #50939] Fri, 06 April 2007 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Some L-Pads are made to hold their impedance constant, but others are really just potentiometers. The latter will cause crossover characteristics to shift as the slider is moved.

Re: Discrete resistors vs. variable L-Pad - Thanks! [message #50943 is a reply to message #50941] Fri, 06 April 2007 13:23 Go to previous message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master
Thanks Wayne.
I was afraid that they were inductive, like in resistors. I tried to measure one but is kind of difficult.

Previous Topic: It's time to play... what's that smell?
Next Topic: 4 Pi Tweaks?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 06:11:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout