Home » Audio » General » Lone Star Audio Fest Update
Re: Lone Star Audio Fest Update [message #5065 is a reply to message #5060] Wed, 18 March 2009 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Fred, that is entirely too high end for this show

Re: Lone Star Audio Fest Update [message #5072 is a reply to message #5045] Mon, 13 April 2009 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Shane, I booked my reservations, and I will be exhibiting under the name "AudioFred Low End Audio...Specializing in mid-fi sound for the discriminating doublewide owner". What else would you expect when you buy speakers from a guy named Fred?

I'll be exhibiting the world's best sounding under-$400 sytem, featuring the Parts Express BR-1 Reference monitor speakers ($195 assembled with much-needed additional enclosure bracing and upgraded internal wiring, the $99 Best Buy Insignia two channel receiver, and a $45 Phillips DVD player from Wal Mart. For the audiophile with deep pockets I'll also be exhibiting the world's best under-$700 system using the BR-1's with the $260 Virtue Audio Virtue One class T integrated amplifier and the $160 Oppo DV-980H universal player.

I'm not in the speaker business, and I have no desire to enter that snake pit, but I will build a pair of BR-1's with the extra enclosure bracing for anybody who asks for $195, which is my cost with the extras I put into them.

While this may all seem like a joke, the purpose is to demonstrate to non-audiphiles that you don't have to spend a fortune to have good sound in your home. Everybody listens to music, and most do it on equipment that doesn't approach the cabability of even a mid fi system. Most music lovers would like to hear better sound, and many can afford a really good system, but there's a big psylogical barrier to spending even as little as $1K on a complete system if you've never thought about it before. My under $400 system is accessible to almost everyone, and it's likely if they build mine, next year they will return to some others LSAF commercial exhibitors for better equipment. It's like giving away dime bags of crack cocaine.

No experienced listener will confuse either of these systems with high end, but even the under-$400 version sounds amazingly coherent and involving. Adding the Virtue One and the Oppo takes the system to a level that rivals most $1K to $1.5K systems I've heard.

Re: Lone Star Audio Fest Update [message #5073 is a reply to message #5045] Mon, 13 April 2009 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I was wondering if anybody who lives in Dallas has thought about inviting the local high end audio salons like Audio Concepts to rent a room and exhibit an entry level system like a pair of Paradigm monitors with NAD electronics. I've sold luxury items before, and the hardest thing to do in that kind of business is to get new customers to walk through your front door. Anybody who exhibits will see at least 100 people who probably would never visit their shop, all for about $250 in hotel room cost. I would do this but I'm not in Dallas and don't know the local dealers.

Re: Lone Star Audio Fest Update [message #5077 is a reply to message #5072] Thu, 23 April 2009 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Sounds like your setup will be right up my alley!

Re: Lone Star Audio Fest Update [message #5078 is a reply to message #5073] Thu, 23 April 2009 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
We have been discussing this on and off for a month or so. I'm hoping we can get Paul to get the word out. I'd like to make up some flyers to put in the local shops as well.

Re: Lone Star Audio Fest Update [message #5079 is a reply to message #5078] Fri, 24 April 2009 09:27 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The key is to convince them to set up a room and demo some affordable equipment. If they have a demo room they will want to advertise it; if they don't they will not want their customers to know about it. It's that simple.

Convincing them requires that somebody actually visit their store and talk this up with the owner. Ideally it would be somebody who already knows the owner. If this were in Houston it would be very easy because we have a viable audio society and the owners of the local high end stores know our leaders very well.

Previous Topic: 12inch full range driver in tl enclosure
Next Topic: CD Storage
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 06:05:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout