Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi 4 Professional
Pi 4 Professional [message #50738] Mon, 26 February 2007 07:09 Go to next message
Stefan I is currently offline  Stefan I
Esquire
Hi Wayne,

I am interested in building the Pi 4 using the best components possible and have a few questions.

1st a bit of background - I have built the La Scala's as bass for the Oris system but have grown dissatisfied with the full range Lowther sound - I just can't get on with the anomalies that the Lowther produces and I have been dissapointed with the LaScala bass bins with K33 drivers - they are best described as 'lumpy' and not extended.

I would like to know how low the Pi4's go? Are they suitable for smallish British rooms 12ftx15ft? And.... are they musical?

Also I already have some 2226h's - so what would the cost of the rest of the drivers and crossover etc be to send over the pond?

Best regards

Stefan

Re: Pi 4 Professional [message #50739 is a reply to message #50738] Mon, 26 February 2007 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
aslo shoud have said that I use a set of erm... SET 300b's as amps - on reading some of the items on the forum it may be best to use the theater or thermionic combinations???

Wayne - advise needed before I embark I guess - if you have a design and crossover schematic that would be hepfull - many thanks.

Stefan

Re: Pi 4 Professional [message #50740 is a reply to message #50739] Mon, 26 February 2007 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
xcortes is currently offline  xcortes
Baron
See the answers on this thread:

http://audioroundtable.com/PiSpeakers/messages/20298.html

You've got mail! [message #50743 is a reply to message #50739] Mon, 26 February 2007 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Your highest quality speakers will be those in the Professional Series. I would go with them if the budget will allow.

If you have two good corners, go with the Professional Series seven π loudspeakers. I use them with SET and ultra-linear PP amps, and just love them. They've been my favorites for a long time, since the 1970's. And they've had incremental enhancements over the years too, so they're the best they can be.

If you can't commit to using corners, you might go with the Professional Series four π bass bin and the midhorn, tweeter and crossover from the seven π.

The standard Pro four π is very nice too, being a DI matched two-way design.

In each case, the woofer is tuned slightly overdamped, so bass rolloff is slow and smooth. This makes a nice conjugate for room gain, and won't let bass become boomy even in "live" rooms with solid plaster walls like in some European flats.

Re: You've got mail! [message #50744 is a reply to message #50743] Tue, 27 February 2007 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks Wayne,

I like the sound of the Pi4 bass base with the Pi7 mid and top. I do have corners and can build the Pi7 corners but at this time I have a deluge of speaker carcassess! So my thinking is to re-use the LaScala bass bins (that I lovingly put together - weep!) to accomodate the 2226h - it appears to be about the right size and I can jig saw out some of the front bow of the dog box and add a font panel cut out for the driver. The rest of the dog box together with the reverse horn will probaby aid in attenuating the rear wave (aka B&W Nautius - reverse snail - or at minimum act as a good brace).

Many thanks

Stefan

Re: You've got mail! [message #50745 is a reply to message #50744] Tue, 27 February 2007 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm not sure I'd use a JBL 2226 in a LaScala. You could model it and see how it will act. I also recall a modification to the basic LaScala cabinet you might try. This is a mod proposed by djk that uses a Helmholtz resonator in the rear chamber to boost bass.

At any rate, I'm not comfortable that a basshorn folded like the LaScala should be used up past the bass range. When I use a basshorn that is folded this way, I tend to also use a midbass driver to cover the span between basshorn and midrange. The only thing I don't care about Klipschorns is they don't have a folding pattern that lends itself to propogation of midrange frequencies and I think they push them too far. I wouldn't suggest using one in this manner.

Re: You've got mail! [message #50746 is a reply to message #50745] Tue, 27 February 2007 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Hi Wayne - I was thinking of just re-using the box by chopping the 'v' shaped bow out of the dog box out and blocking the mouth of the horn with cut-out for the driver and port i.e. don't worry I will not be mounting the 2226 in place of the K33.

I have tried the DJK mod with skirt an ports - they are Ok - just don't like the bass of the LaScala - its just lumpy and not that good on upper bass - plus the K33 cone seems too soft and the bass is kinda bouncy.

The JBL pointing out front should do a mans jobs of it.

Thanks for the plans etc. I am in the process of moving house at the mo so will digest the schemes and get back to you.

Also I've sent you a picture of my previous Oris style speaker - its all hand and home made.

Rgds

Stefan

Re: Pi Cabs [message #50747 is a reply to message #50746] Tue, 27 February 2007 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
If I were you, I'd sell the K's to someone who would want them, and just build the Pi cabs, or have someone build them for you. They are ez to build, look nice, and you have a fully integrated design. Why spend money on good drivers and then put them in a chop job? just my tuppence worth.

Re: Pi Cabs [message #50748 is a reply to message #50747] Tue, 27 February 2007 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Matts,

Thanks - more than tuppence worth of advise - I think you are right.

Just these things don't seem to sell well round these parts. Its such a shame as I built them so bloody well - I mean they are better than any LaScala bass bin - birch ply - absolutlety precise joints - horizontal braces around the dog box - I mean I spent 2 weeks on each cab - weep!

I may keep them as... tables?

I like the idea of eventually building the 7 horns for a numer of reasons 1) horns rule 2) they are Waynes favs and that counts for lots 3) I lurve horn bass (when its right) ).....

Stefan

Re: Pi Cabs [message #50749 is a reply to message #50748] Tue, 27 February 2007 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Mattimoe is currently offline  Mattimoe
Esquire
even more so- if you built those cabs that well, it'd be a shame to start doing surgery on them. Even if you can't sell them for what you'd like, I'd feel better if a friend had them, or they were in storage. onward and upward...

Previous Topic: My first crossover network: pic and questions
Next Topic: Is the Thermionic Studio Eight horn a corner horn?...nt
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 17:04:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout