Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » pi studio two
pi studio two [message #50719] Mon, 19 February 2007 18:41 Go to next message
Tony is currently offline  Tony
Chancellor
Wayne,

I'd like to build the pi studio two speaker kit, but I'd prefer to use the Eminence compression tweeter/horn combination instead of the soft dome, will this work? I like how the x-overs are extremely simple in the studio two kit; is the x-over for the Eminence also similarly simple?

Thanks,

Tony

Re: pi studio two [message #50721 is a reply to message #50719] Mon, 19 February 2007 21:55 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I built a prototype using the Eminence APT80. It was pretty good, but I liked the sound of the Vifa better. When using the APT80, I liked it best crossed over at 2.5kHz, second-order on both woofer and tweeter, Zobel on woofer, 6Ω series resistance followed by 4Ω shunt resistance on the tweeter. Swap the polarity of the tweeter. You might give that a try and see how you like it.

You can try the first-order arrangement if you want, maybe compare how it sounds with the second-order setup. When I run first-order crossovers, I like to refrain from putting a Zobel on the woofer, which makes it not truly a first-order filter. Sometimes a little more inductance is better, especially if crossover happens near a region of rising response from breakup or collapsing DI.

For a first-order crossover, I find that 0.5mH works nicely on the Alpha 8 and Alpha 10. Some prefer a little more coil, maybe 0.7mH or even 1.0mH. The tweeter should start coming in around 2kHz and be full in by 4.0kHz. Use a 4.7uF to 6.8uF capacitor followed by the padding resistors, 6Ω series resistance followed by 4Ω shunt resistance. Same polarity on the woofer and tweeter, of course.

Previous Topic: Another vote for a Pi One Tower w/ dual woofer
Next Topic: Two unrelated questions for Wayne
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 11:30:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout