Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » PI 7
PI 7 [message #50652] Tue, 06 February 2007 15:52 Go to next message
Zene Gillette is currently offline  Zene Gillette
Viscount
Wayne ... How low would the JBL 2241's go in your 7 box, not in corner, in an average size HT room (18 x 16)? Considering them for LFE. I would not include corner pieces in my building and use a front port. Two stacked if an advantage. Then use the rest of the kit(s) with a smaller ported box for the front/ rear channels. Ought to be a killer. Of course better suggestions appreciated.
Zene

Re: PI 7 [message #50653 is a reply to message #50652] Tue, 06 February 2007 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The JBL 2241 in a 7ft3 cabinet tuned to 30Hz has f3 at 40Hz and f10 at 28Hz. The system is slightly underdamped, making room lift a nice natural conjugate, bringing up the bottom octave and giving solid output into the 20's.

If you are going to use these outdoors or in very large rooms, you might not want an overdamped curve, maybe prefering even slightly underdamped. If you increase cabinet size to say 10ft3 or 12ft3, maybe also increase tuning frequency to 35Hz, you'll increase output around 30Hz. I would only recommend this for outdoor use though, or for very large rooms. In a small to medium size room, the larger cabinet may sound a bit boomy.

Re: PI 7 [message #50656 is a reply to message #50653] Tue, 06 February 2007 18:41 Go to previous message
Zene Gillette is currently offline  Zene Gillette
Viscount
Great help as usual. Best avenue for me is to build bigger and play with port size and volume just like the old days. Quite easy to do with one sub.
Zene

Previous Topic: For Sale Premium Four Kit
Next Topic: Need recommendations for efficient speaker to run on solar power
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 20:18:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers