Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Vifa DX25 alternative?
Vifa DX25 alternative? [message #50618] Mon, 29 January 2007 10:06 Go to next message
Derek is currently offline  Derek
Chancellor
Jusr wondering if there is a better tweeter than the Vifa DX25 that I can use - regardless of price.

I ask because I am building the Pi One Tower not because of its cost, but mainly because of its size - though I may then move on to the Pi Two Tower. But if there is a better alternative tweeter then I would use it. I appreciate that the Pi One is a "budget" speaker, but thats not my reason for making it. Indeed even if there is a horn that I could use ....PSD2002 ? APT50? but I guess they dont go down low enough???.... anything - I will consider.

Many thanks in advance.

Derek

Re: Vifa DX25 alternative? [message #50620 is a reply to message #50618] Mon, 29 January 2007 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oh, sure, there are plenty of more expensive tweeters that sound nice. Look at the high-end domes and ribbons, for example. The thing is, if you move up a lot in the tweeter, seems like you'd want to pair it with a more expensive woofer too. Then that puts you in another line. You might consider the Professional Series four π or seven π.

Re: Vifa DX25 alternative? [message #50621 is a reply to message #50618] Mon, 29 January 2007 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master
There are many Tweeters better than that. It all depends what you want it for, ...PA, monitor? ...as an example, or dispersion pattern? or price? (I hope Wayne doesn't read this, because when he choose it, it was one of the best and he was changing from a piezo that was not that bad)
The DX25 gives 90dB at 40K. No other speaker does that -- with out you paying X10 times more. You will have to pay the difference and design a new xover for a new speaker don't forget that. Did this help in any way?

OK.. Message understood! Thanks All! [message #50626 is a reply to message #50620] Mon, 29 January 2007 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Derek is currently offline  Derek
Chancellor
OK.. Message understood! Thanks All!

Derek

Re: Vifa DX25 alternative? [message #50629 is a reply to message #50618] Tue, 30 January 2007 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The challenge in choosing an alternative to the DX25 tweeter is to find one that combines good sound, a low resonant frequency, and the required 93 to 94dB sensitivity. Pick any two, but if you want all three there are few options other than expensive horn tweeters. One dome tweeter that looks like it might work (with a different crossover) is the Morel MDT-37. It's more than double the price of the Vifa. I have no idea whether it would sound better.

I suspect the most cost effective way to upgrade the sound of the Studio series speakers is to upgrade the tweeter cap. I replaced the Solen with a Sonicap which, to my ears, reduces the treble glare a bit. A matched pair of 10uF Sonicaps costs about $45 with shipping.

Re: also... Fountek Neo CD2 [message #50630 is a reply to message #50626] Tue, 30 January 2007 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master
Fountek Neo CD2 (at $USD 126.)
(http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?exact_match=yes&product=FOU&cart_id=9977703.15051)
you can also chech this thread by bill epstein about the driver.

Re: Vifa DX25 alternative? [message #50633 is a reply to message #50629] Tue, 30 January 2007 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
j.luis cruz . is currently offline  j.luis cruz .
Master
Hey Fred a salute . regarding the alternative to the actual vifa tweeter has you listened to the Two Pi with the actual tweeter ( vifa) against the former (piezo 1038 ) . What do you think of the piezos what Wayne use for so long time .

Re: Vifa DX25 alternative? [message #50634 is a reply to message #50633] Tue, 30 January 2007 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Sorry, I first heard Pi speakers long after the Vifa tweeter had replaced the piezo, so I can't offer an opinion.

Vifa vs. Piezo [message #50639 is a reply to message #50634] Thu, 01 February 2007 07:54 Go to previous message
Skip is currently offline  Skip
Chancellor
I have built all three of the Studio series, including
Studio 2 Pi's with both tweeters. The Vifa is definately
more relaxed. This is not to say that I could hear any
harshness in the piezo, but you are more aware of it.
Part of that could be a slight amplitude/balance difference.
For a party, the piezos would seem more balanced. For
attentive home listening, I prefer the Vifa's.

Skip

Previous Topic: Question
Next Topic: Eminence ALPHA-6A
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 05:27:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers