Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Coaxial Drivers (1pi Tower Maybe ?)
Coaxial Drivers (1pi Tower Maybe ?) [message #50584] Tue, 23 January 2007 10:22 Go to next message
Steve H is currently offline  Steve H
Esquire
All,
Anyone ever try some of the coaxial drivers Eminence offers ? In referring back to the studio 1pi tower discussion, it would be interesting to do a dual-driver setup, one being coaxial, the other a regular driver. Thoughts anyone ? I have heard GREAT things about the B&C driver; but they are quite pricey.

Regards,
Steve

Re: Coaxial Drivers (1pi Tower Maybe ?) [message #50586 is a reply to message #50584] Tue, 23 January 2007 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I was never very happy with coax setups. Either the tweeter is compromised or the midwoofer is. Size and position constrains one or the other. However, Adire Audio used to make a speaker just like you've described with Eminence coax drivers and it was pretty well liked.

Re: Coaxial Drivers (1pi Tower Maybe ?) [message #50588 is a reply to message #50586] Tue, 23 January 2007 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve H is currently offline  Steve H
Esquire
Thanks Wayne. I saw that last night; but I wasn't quite sure which driver they were using....But you answered that question. Interestingly enough, eminence has these plans on their site; which the HE10 seems to mimic somewhat.

Re: Coaxial Drivers (1pi Tower Maybe ?) [message #50591 is a reply to message #50584] Wed, 24 January 2007 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master
They are required in some STUDIO situations instances in the case you are to close to them and you need correct phase output. Tannoy is a good example of that. And others of course.

Re: Coaxial Drivers (1pi Tower Maybe ?) [message #50604 is a reply to message #50584] Fri, 26 January 2007 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
A friend just bought the Hawthorne Audio Silver Iris and Augie drivers, which appear to be a specially modified Eminence 15" coax modwoofer/tweeter (the Silver Iris) and a 15" Eminence woofer )the Augie), all intended for an open baffle configuration. I will be building a pair of baffles for him, coincidentally today.

I have some doubts about how seamlessly a 15" woofer will cross over to a small coaxially mounted horn tweeter, but with speakers the proof is in the listening. After it's completed and had some breakin time I'll report on its sound in the high efficiency speaker forum.

Re: Coaxial Drivers (1pi Tower Maybe ?) [message #50605 is a reply to message #50604] Fri, 26 January 2007 05:37 Go to previous message
SteveH is currently offline  SteveH
Esquire

Fred,
Im really looking forward to seeing your work and hearing your comments ! In reading the review, it seems most of the gripes perhaps would be smoothed out by a different crossover arrangement. Im kinda surprised at the crossover they used anyway; as some other coaxial drivers (PAudio for example...) are simply using one capacitor - that's it.

"...One big advantage of a coaxial speaker is that the compression horn tweeter is separate from the woofer--but still coaxially located for pointsource sound. Because of this, it is possible to use different value capacitors to control the point at which the tweeter begins to play. Doing so can change the sound from 'soft, warm, and smooth' to 'clear, bright, and detailed'. You can do this manually by wiring in capacitors of different values. Or you can use the above 'single pull, triple throw' high quality switch to wire up three different capacitors at the same time. Select whichever one best suits the recordings you're listening to. It's like having three different speakers. This is not an 'L-pad' which just turns the tweeter volume up or down. This switch changes the crossover point to completely change the nature of the speaker. "

Thanks again.
Steve

Previous Topic: First listen to the 3-way; I call them the......
Next Topic: Eminence just announced a new 2" compression driver
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:48:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout