Home » Audio » General » Music that makes you dumb.....
Music that makes you dumb..... [message #5050] Fri, 06 March 2009 10:41 Go to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Interesting non-scientific study - Beethoven at the top, and jazz near the bottom......C

Re: Music that makes you dumb..... [message #5051 is a reply to message #5050] Fri, 06 March 2009 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Jazz was near the bottom probably because there was only one person who listened to it.

Re: Music that makes you dumb..... [message #5052 is a reply to message #5050] Sat, 07 March 2009 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

All jokes aside, I think there is a causal relationship but it may be that the cause/effect ends are backwards. In other words, listening to some of the music at the lower end of the scale might not make you dumb, but it might just be more popular with the kinds of people that place less emphasis on academic pursuits, know what I mean?

I also remember hearing that classical music played to young children and even those still in the womb (with pillow speakers for mom's belly) tended to make children smarter. This might be kind of the same thing, that children with parents that care enough to try this might also be more nurturing, interested parents. Could be the environment is better, not just the music. Or it could be that the patterns in the music, the complex mathematical relationships, or maybe even just the stimulus causes better neural growth. I know that children that are deprived of stimulus don't develop as well, so this may be related to that.

Re: Music that makes you dumb..... [message #5053 is a reply to message #5050] Sun, 08 March 2009 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
See the link below

Re: Music that makes you dumb..... [message #5054 is a reply to message #5051] Sun, 08 March 2009 22:29 Go to previous message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
The jazz might be "real" or "smooth". Two totally different sides of the world.

I've found the folks that listen to bebop and other forms of traditional jazz to be pretty sharp. No science to back it up, though.

Previous Topic: pioneer problem troubleshooting
Next Topic: Audio meet?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 00:15:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout