Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Looking for some speaker magic in the UK.
Ouch - just seen the RRP price for JBL drivers in the UK [message #50476 is a reply to message #50474] Sat, 06 January 2007 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PaulW is currently offline  PaulW
Viscount
Don't think I really want to commit to the outlay for the professional series. So it looks like it will have to be Theatre 6 or Stage 7 for this design type based on size and price. Can i take it that none of these will have a fundamental problem with either the Paramour amps or my room size?

Thanks for your help so far

Paul.

All models of π speakers work well with Paramours [message #50477 is a reply to message #50476] Sat, 06 January 2007 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'd suggest the Theater six π or the Stage seven π for budget-conscious builders that want a π cornerhorn.

likely 'in room' sound? [message #50478 is a reply to message #50477] Sun, 07 January 2007 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Would you have any opinion of which of the proposed speakers would interact best with the room [(internal) 12.5 x 17.8 x 8 feet (WxLxH) of double skin brick with a filled cavity, plasterboard ceiling]

Or given all the above, do you feel there would be a better option, up to the cost of the stage 7?

As the room is a dedicated Hi-Fi/home cinema area I won't have any of the usual 'domestic' constraints.

Regards

Paul

Re: likely 'in room' sound? [message #50479 is a reply to message #50478] Sun, 07 January 2007 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've always found that the cornerhorn sounds best, mostly because the directivity is uniform throughout the audio band. The model cornerhorn you choose is more a cost and size consideration. As for room interaction, I suggest modeling with Cara. The only thing that concerns me is a possible lack of damping. If the walls are brick, you may need additional damping to reduce room modes. If there is a dead air space filled with insulation between two layers of brick, I can see that really helping with thermal loss but it won't to much to damp room modes. You need sound absorbent materials spaced away from walls to damp room modes, or you need lossy (non-rigid) walls, or best of all, have both lossy walls and absorbent materials.

Re:Cara - look likes fun, thanks. (NT) [message #50480 is a reply to message #50479] Sun, 07 January 2007 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
nt

Re: likely 'in room' sound? [message #50481 is a reply to message #50479] Sun, 07 January 2007 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master
Hi,
I was thinking of the possibility, just in the case of box speakers and not with corner horns, of Paul building it in brick and mortar (just like two fireplaces/bass boxes he would add to the Room, frnt panel in wood - also space for the highs units on top at project distance.)

Just an idea, because after that you can't move them, but you can always make the box smaller (or larger if you demolish) and you can not go on "tour" way of saying. I don't know if the garden allows such an option. Best Regards.

Re: All models of π speakers work well with Paramours [message #50482 is a reply to message #50477] Sun, 07 January 2007 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Wayne - many thanks for all your help. Going to order the Paramours next week, chase some builders and start the room project rolling, then will most likely be back for some stage 7's, when these are done. Unless it all goes way over budget, then I suppose there is always the Studio tower 2.

Regards

Paul

Stage 7 - 18 [message #50484 is a reply to message #50477] Mon, 08 January 2007 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Just going over the price list and dimensions and notice the the Stage 7 with the 18 driver has the listed dimensions of 66x24x18 which seems a little at odds compared to the others using 18 drivers. But this seems idea for my requirements, if these dimensions are correct then this would suit better than the 7 with the 15 inch driver.

Regards

Paul

Re: Stage 7 - 18 [message #50485 is a reply to message #50484] Mon, 08 January 2007 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The Stage and Professional Series seven π-18 speakers are the same size as the Theater Series seven π cornerhorn. Naturally, the sound is better with better quality drivers.

Re: likely 'in room' sound? [message #50486 is a reply to message #50481] Mon, 08 January 2007 12:00 Go to previous message
Viscount
If I was one of those dedicated Japanese audiophiles then I might have got an architect to design them into the structure of the room. But as I may have to sell the house one day I'm not too sure it would be a positive aspect for many buyers :¬)

Paul

Previous Topic: Theater 4's and DIY Tubes
Next Topic: Professional 4/7 Hybrid
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 30 02:31:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers