Home » Audio » General » Lone Star Audio Fest Update
Lone Star Audio Fest Update [message #5045] Sat, 28 February 2009 21:42 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
A venue has finally been secured for this year. The fest will be held at Embassy Suites Dallas Park Central on June 19-21st.

Please make your reservations as soon as possible to make sure you can secure a room on the same floor. Just mention at the time of making your reservation that you are with the LSAF and that will secure you a discounted rate as well as a room on the same floor. If you have any other questions please contact me at shanemmail-lsaf@yahoo.com. If you would like to have your name added to the exhibitor list please email myself or go through the LSAF website at http://www.lonestaraudiofest.com and goto the registration tab.

As an added note, if you could please shoot me an email to let me know you have made reservations that would be great as I don't know if the Embassy has their site set up for keeping track yet.

Remember, you don't have to be in the audio business to exhibit. It's great if the DIY's bring their gear for us to hear!!!

Look forward to seeing everyone there!!

Shane

Re: Lone Star Audio Fest Update [message #5046 is a reply to message #5045] Sun, 01 March 2009 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Excellent, Shane, thanks for all your efforts!

I'll be there for sure!

Re: Lone Star Audio Fest Update [message #5048 is a reply to message #5045] Mon, 02 March 2009 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Shane, thanks for doing the footwork to make this happen. I'll definitely be there, and this time I'll be exhibiting something or other. It's much more fun when you're exhibiting. I'll shoot you an email when I've made my room reservations.

Re: Lone Star Audio Fest Update [message #5049 is a reply to message #5048] Mon, 02 March 2009 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Looking forward to seeing what you bring this year Fred.

Re: Lone Star Audio Fest Update [message #5055 is a reply to message #5045] Wed, 11 March 2009 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
This is great! I'm all registered and really excited this is happening!

Re: Lone Star Audio Fest Update [message #5060 is a reply to message #5049] Tue, 17 March 2009 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
This year I believe I'll bring the AudioFred One's, which are the Parts Express BR1 speaker kit that I build for friends with some internal bracing. I sell these for my cost, and several people have used these speakers to build systems whose total cost including source, amplification, speakers, speaker stands, and all cables is less than $400. Of course the system I'll exhibit the BR1's with will be quite a bit more expensive. It incudes a $300 Cambridge Audio integrated and a $160 Oppo universal player. A ridiculously expensive "audiosnob" system.

I'll definitely be there, but my objective at this time is to attract a few Houston audio manufacturers to join us. So far I've discussed it with Dennis Deacon of D-Sonic amps and Jim Goulding of Diffractionbegone, and both seem interested.

Re: Lone Star Audio Fest Update [message #5061 is a reply to message #5060] Tue, 17 March 2009 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'd like to put a link to your stuff on the LSAF site, on both the exhibitors and photos pages. People always comment that your room sounds great. Be thinking about how we should list it and let me know.

Re: Lone Star Audio Fest Update [message #5062 is a reply to message #5061] Tue, 17 March 2009 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'll get back with you. There's a story about this. My Houston Audio Society friends own relatively expensive systems, typcially costing $20-$40K. One member's system cost far more than $250K. We've discussed the problem of how to get friends, relatives, and neighbors into high end audio, and the problem is that most of the people we know could easily afford a $10K system, but they are psycologically unprepared to spend that much on a stereo. In spite of the fact that they may drive a Mercedes S-series car, the idea of a stereo costing more than $500 is something they can't get their mind to embrace.

Linda and I do lots of entertaining in our home, and inevitably the guys who visit want to hear the big Selah XT-8 line arrays driven by Krell amplification, and are blown away by the sound. When they ask how much a sytem like mine costs, instead of telling them the actual price, I tell them it cost a lot, but I have a system upstair that cost less than $500, and both they and their wife will like it. Then I bring them upsairs, put on a CD I know their wife will like, and sit her (not him) in the sweet spot to listen.

I'm convinced the answer is to get a correctly-set-up $500 system into their home, and after they have listened to their favorite music on it while drinking a glass of good merlot they will be back for more and better. The upstairs system includes the Parts Express BR1's, a mass market DVD player, and a $100 Best Buy Insignia stereo receiver. I've even built some low tech high mass stands for the BR1's. They're cinderblocks from Home Depot. The speaker cables are Blue Jeans bulk $0.68/ft Belden. Every non-audiophile I sit in the sweet spot to hear this system is amazed, and several have bought the BR1's and the mass market electronics I recommend.

Re: Lone Star Audio Fest Update [message #5063 is a reply to message #5062] Tue, 17 March 2009 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Forgot to mention, I have a small (32") LCD TV on the top shelf of the equipment rack, and I strongly recommend to people who hear my stetem that they get a DVD player with upscaling and HDMI output. This will enbable them to view DVD's in relatively high definition, with the added advantage of a good two channel audio system set up to complement the TV. I know that placing a TV between the speakers is anathema to may two channel stereo lovers, but everybody watches DVD's, and this system is light years better than a Sony 5.1 HT-in-a-box system with plastic speakers. Remember, the strategic objective isn't to get them the best two channel system they are willing to buy, but to get them the two channel system they will enjoy the most.

Re: Lone Star Audio Fest Update [message #5064 is a reply to message #5063] Wed, 18 March 2009 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I agree with you, 100%. Last year, I wanted to get a real good audio CD player and I also wanted a nice blue ray video disc player. I gave the then brand new Denon DVD3800BDCI player a chance. The sound is surprisingly good, I think the best sound I've ever heard from a digital source. I chose a flat screen plasma, and the soundtracks on movies are wonderful so it's great for sight and sound.

Previous Topic: 12inch full range driver in tl enclosure
Next Topic: CD Storage
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 00:56:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout