Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Studio One Tower?
Studio One Tower? [message #50380] Tue, 12 December 2006 09:19 Go to next message
Derro is currently offline  Derro
Chancellor
Is there such a thing as a Studio One Tower? I seem to remember seeing photos of such but I do not see it listed - are there plans available for it? Or is it just a figment of my imagination!

many Thanks Wayne.

Derek

Re: Studio One Tower? [message #50381 is a reply to message #50380] Tue, 12 December 2006 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Fred Thompson did a small tower speaker based on the one π and it looks and sounds very nice. Check with him and I'll bet he would be happy to send you the plans.

Many Thanks Wayne [message #50382 is a reply to message #50381] Tue, 12 December 2006 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Derro is currently offline  Derro
Chancellor

Re: Studio One Tower? [message #50391 is a reply to message #50381] Mon, 18 December 2006 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
themilford is currently offline  themilford
Viscount
Can we talk a little more about the pros and cons of this design?

Re: Studio One Tower? [message #50392 is a reply to message #50391] Mon, 18 December 2006 15:55 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Well, it's a tower. So it's nice for places where floor space is at premium. It also puts the midwoofer and tweeter at ear level, even without a stand. But that also means the woofer is high enough that floor bounce affects midbass response. That's always the case with a two-way system though - If the midwoofer is two or three feet up, either by being stand-mounted or by being in a tall cabinet, then there is a reflector two or three feet away. Reflectors always cause a null at the frequency where they are 1/4λ from the source. So with stands or towers, you gain a little and you lose a little. Midrange is at ear level, but bass is too so floor bounce comes into play.

Previous Topic: Comments on this 3-way layout?
Next Topic: Theater 4/7 hybrid fun
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 00:43:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout