Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Eminence Alpha 8 in midhorn question
Eminence Alpha 8 in midhorn question [message #50339] Thu, 30 November 2006 11:36 Go to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne,

I did a search and found no mention of using the Alpha 8 in the midhorn. Is there reasons why it is not recommended?

Ron

Re: Eminence Alpha 8 in midhorn question [message #50341 is a reply to message #50339] Thu, 30 November 2006 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The seven π midhorn is designed to use a 10" driver. I've tested it with Eminence Alpha 10 and Delta 10 drivers and with the JBL 2012.

When I was designing the midhorn, the first drivers I tried were 8" drivers. I had hoped to use them, and the Alpha 8 would have seemed to work just fine. But Hornresp models weren't promising. I don't remember all the problems I saw but I do remember that lower midrange performance was the sticking point.

Re: Eminence Alpha 8 in midhorn question [message #50346 is a reply to message #50341] Fri, 01 December 2006 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Due to the fact that I had the drivers and horns, I tried it anyways.

It seems that other than being a little shouty they sound decent.

I will have to try other drivers in them when I get the chance.

For now they will go to Steve's house when we meet tomorrow.

Thanks!

Ron

Re: Eminence Alpha 8 in midhorn question [message #50347 is a reply to message #50346] Fri, 01 December 2006 09:44 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yeah, I seemed to recall that response was a bit peaky in some of the horns I modeled with the Alpha 8. As I remember, that surprised me. I suspect that a horn could be optimized for this driver that would work very nicely. But without the low midrange extension I needed, I didn't spend a lot of time on horn models for the Alpha 8.

Previous Topic: 12Pi drawing clarifications
Next Topic: Mid-horn plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 16:10:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout