Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » What do you make of this "white paper"?
What do you make of this "white paper"? [message #50303] Wed, 22 November 2006 21:45 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The former owner of Inner Sound electrostatic speakers

Everyone has a opinion! [message #50306 is a reply to message #50303] Fri, 24 November 2006 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
If what is contained in that white paper were true, companies like JBL and the rest would have adopted that format.

A well designed vented enclosure does not sound slow and flabby like the article is stated.

A transmission line is usually a lower effeciency system. Compression and distortion will be much higher than a properly designed vented or sealed system to attain the same output levels.

That's my 2 cents worth at least!

Ron

Re: What do you make of this "white paper"? [message #50307 is a reply to message #50303] Fri, 24 November 2006 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LAL is currently offline  LAL
Baron
Bill,
I am no expert,but there seems to be a number of people who prefer the sound of transmission lines, dipoles and infinite baffle bass. I think the common demoninator in these three variations is the prevention of the speaker's rear wave reflecting back through the speaker cone. That is what prompted me to try filling my Stage 4Pi's with polyfill(together with Vance Dickason's commment that do so would result in a cleaner midrange,along with some loss in efficiency and higher F3-see Loudspeaker Cookbook)as I mentioned in response one of your earlier posts. For bass only purposes I would think transmission lines would be practically limited to relative small drivers and would consequently give up a lot of dynamic range.
Larry

Reflex cabinets, transmission lines and basshorns [message #50310 is a reply to message #50303] Fri, 24 November 2006 16:55 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Transmission lines are similar to vented speakers in that they employ a resonator to load the woofer at a low frequency. They use 1/4λ standing wave pipe modes instead of Helmholtz resonators, but the end result is similar.

In a transmission line, the system is tuned to a single frequency, just like the Helmholtz frequency of a bass-reflex box. Since standing waves are the tuning mechanism in a transmission line, there are unwanted harmonics to deal with above the primary 1/4λ mode. Because of this, line length, driver and mouth position are very important. The idea is to resonate the line at 1/4λ but to reduce the unwanted pipe mode harmonics above that. That's why 1/4λ pipes rarely have the driver at the end of the line; Usually, they're placed somewhat down the length. Careful placement can reduce the next (unwanted) harmonic up by standing wave cancellation and stuffing in the line can reduce the harmonics above that.

The best work on transmission lines, in my opinion, is by Martin King.

Another relationship worth mentioning is basshorns, which are also tuned pipes. Basshorns are tapered, but their mouths are usually small in relation to wavelength, so they act something like transmission lines. If the mouth is large enough, the horn acts like a wide band resonator. If too small, it acts more like a tuned pipe with peaks at odd multiples of 1/4λ and dips in between. The larger the mouth area is, the more it acts like a true horn with flat response through its pass band.

Previous Topic: Tweeters and different woofers?
Next Topic: 8 Pi Question ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 22:58:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout