Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Learned some more audio truth outdoors
Re: Learned some more audio truth outdoors [message #49975 is a reply to message #49969] Tue, 05 September 2006 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's right, exactly.

Re: Learned some more audio truth outdoors [message #49976 is a reply to message #49952] Tue, 05 September 2006 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oh, definitely. Boundary reinforcement from corner loading is 9dB. The gain from increased directivity is another 9dB. Of course, damping from wall compliance, insulation, carpeting, furniture and room treatments takes some of this but you can get as much as 18dB over freespace. If not well damped, room modes can bump certain ranges even more than that.

Re: Learned some more audio truth outdoors [message #49979 is a reply to message #49974] Tue, 05 September 2006 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Computer software on a laptop, Stanford Research FFT spectrum analyzer, Ultra-curve spectrum analyzer. I like the FFT most of all.
I mic at 6 places all 4 room corners with mic pointing into the corner at 2' away, mid height. in the center of the room with the mic pointed at the ceiling 1' down and at the primary listening position, all to get a feel or the room. Then make adjustment by measurements in one place (listening position)
The measurements give you a good feel for deficiencies, shortcomings or room gain. You still need to listen to a good selection o music at different sound levels for a completely balanced system. Sometimes the perfect flat sound isn't what sounds best.
With a combination of a graphic and parametric you can make a temporary voice before hardwiring parts. ALK engineering does my crossover work. He can build a very special filter network with fast turnaround. everything is impedance matched and I only have to deal with box tuning and attenuation these days.

I like to build a special speaker that is designed for a particular application if I'm going to do the whole cabinet. Just once in a while. Too busy with wood tweeter horns most of the time, and when summer is in the good days I like to be on my boat.

Re: Learned some more audio truth outdoors [message #49980 is a reply to message #49979] Wed, 06 September 2006 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

How much do you charge and where will you travel?

Do you use a sweep, discrete sines, white (or pink) noise or a maximum length sequence for your measurements? If a sweep or MLS, how do you synchronize the input capture with the output signal?

How do you decide on the best places to put your speakers?

In any case, might I suggest that measurement microphones placed as an array of points showing response in the listening area might be more useful than the placements of microphones in room corners.

Re: Learned some more audio truth outdoors [message #49982 is a reply to message #49980] Wed, 06 September 2006 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

I agree with you on micing the room corners. It does give a baseline for room mode and depending on results it can show a room anomaly that can be helped by an acoustical treatment. The placement of the speakers is determined in large by where the customer wants them. There is always a little wiggle room and when you evaluate what you hear and what measurements look like you can make a placement change. For the most part the speakers already have a designated place in the home. been good chatting, take care.

Re: Learned some more audio truth outdoors [message #49983 is a reply to message #49982] Wed, 06 September 2006 10:10 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Actually, depending on speaker placement, the room corners can show huge dips in response that don't occur anywhere else in the room. If you EQ'ed for that, you'd have way too much bass, like 20dB. No one sits in the corners, so there is no need to measure there. Check several places in the listening area instead, a uniform grid or polar plot is best.

Previous Topic: Bass trapping with corner horns
Next Topic: 9Pi mid-bass horn dimensions???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 18:05:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio