Home » Audio » General » RMAF Comments
RMAF Comments [message #4981] Fri, 17 October 2008 07:11 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The RMAF gets better each year, and to make it even more wonderful this year I won a raffle for an amplifier! It's the Virtue Audio Audiophile.ONE, a Tripath amp with a 45w/ch mosfet output stage. Looks like a toy but I was surprised by the sound. The design is by Roger Shcker of Audience LLC. See the link below.

One thing that's obvious at each year's RMAF - the very expensive mainstream products get the lion's share of the media coverage, but the smaller direct-internet sellers offer some very good products for about half the price. I don't understand why a knowledgable audiophile who's buying within a set budget would buy a mainstream product when he can get far better sound from one of the little guys.

A few of the rooms that best exemplified this were Odyssey Audio, Salk Signature Sound/Van Alstine, GR Research/Dodd Audio/AV123, Tyler Acoustics, Grant Fidelity, and Selah Audio. The new Odyssey Kismet speakers and electronics were great, and one of the people who was on the same Southwest flight that I was on bought the entire system - speakers, monoblock amps, & preamp. Another bought the speakers, and yet another bought the Grant Fidelity Reference KT88 amp.

Re: RMAF Comments [message #4982 is a reply to message #4981] Sun, 19 October 2008 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Congratulations Fred on winning what looks to be a great little Tri-Path amplifier. You should have some fun with it.
Have you had an opportunity to do some serious listening through it, and maybe some comparisons with other amplifier topologies?

Looking through your list of speakers that you enjoyed at RMAF.
I did not see a mention of Duke LeJuene's new Planetarium Beta's, and the newest version of the CAR T-1 with the down firing woofer.

Would you please share your thoughts about these speaker designs and sound quality, if you heard them?

Thanks

Norris

Re: RMAF Comments [message #4983 is a reply to message #4982] Mon, 20 October 2008 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Any DIY/kit products at RMAF?

When I go to shows, the comment I hear most often at is how DIY/kit products can't be easily auditioned anywhere else. Providing a venue for people to see and hear these products is the biggest benefit of the shows, in my opinion.

Re: RMAF Comments [message #4984 is a reply to message #4983] Mon, 20 October 2008 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Reimer is currently offline  Bob Reimer
Esquire
Hi,

We also used the Virtue Audio Audiophile One (the Audiophile Two is even better) and showed the Occam Audio speaker kits. Many people were impressed with the speakers (MTM4) and were astounded at the quality of this budget system.

Bob

Re: RMAF Comments [message #4985 is a reply to message #4984] Tue, 21 October 2008 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The Virtue Audio amps are Tripath amps, aren't they? Digital switching amps?

I think the Occam Audio speakers are nice looking. Were there any other kit manufacturer's there that you know of besides Occam Audio?

Re: RMAF Comments [message #4986 is a reply to message #4985] Wed, 22 October 2008 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Reimer is currently offline  Bob Reimer
Esquire
Hi,

I'm not up on amp technology but I thought Tripath meant digital.

Parts Express and Madisound were there though PE didn't have anything playing. There was also a Japanese company showing some stuff but while I met them in the Occam room I didn't have time to visit their room.

Bob

Re: RMAF Comments [message #4987 is a reply to message #4983] Thu, 23 October 2008 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Audio Note Kits was there. They were demoing a new EL34 PP amp, which is a departure from their previous low power SET amps. The tops were off all the Audio Note Kits so you could see inside, and the assembly manuals were displayed on the table. The manuals are very well written. They offer lots of options. For example, their DAC kits range from $750 for the most basic to $2,400 for their top model with all the upgrades.

Re: RMAF Comments [message #4988 is a reply to message #4982] Thu, 23 October 2008 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I visited Duke and Lori, but I was so focused on the Swarm that I didn't pay much atendtion to the main speakers. The Swarm deserves everybody's attention. In my listening room there's an 80hz null and a 40hz peak at the listening position. Adding a single sub or even dual subs near the main speakers just reinforces the peak and does nothing for the null. I believe a Swarm would solve this problem. I wish Duke had picked another name. I would love to be able to tell my wife I bought a Harem.

Re: RMAF Comments [message #4989 is a reply to message #4988] Thu, 23 October 2008 11:49 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I like the distributed subwoofer concept as well. Smoothes room modes with dense interference, which is a great way to get uniform bass amplitude in a small room. This technique is especially important if the walls are rigid. It's simple and effective.

Previous Topic: Philco Hi-Fi Record Player
Next Topic: Lone Star Bottleheads meet in San Antonio
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 23:52:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout