Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Latest One Pi Towers
Latest One Pi Towers [message #49771] Tue, 25 July 2006 13:29 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Completed just this afternoon, and it's good timing because Wardsweb bought my other Alpha 8 towers at the Bottlehead meeting Saturday. These are built in a 1.3 cu ft enclosure that's made of 11 ply baltic birch veneer plywood.

I believe the Studio One Pi doesn't always get the respect it deserves because it "only" has an 8" woofer versus the 10, 12, 15, and 18" woofers of other Pi speakers. While 8" may seem small in comparison to all the others, keep in mind an 8" driver has about twice the radiating area of the 6" drivers that are common in most affordable ( and some very unaffordable) high end speakers. I'm breaking these in with Jean Gillou playing Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition" on one of the larger pipe organs in Paris. Trust me, these 8" drivers will move some air.

The tower version is as easy to build as the standard enclosure, you don't need to buy stands for it, and its narrow baffle is attractive to home decor fanatics like my wife. Anybody in the Houston area who wants a pair should contact me about helping you with the enclosures. You only pay for the One Pi kits, the $31 sheet of plywood, finishing materials, plus any accessories you want like those cool Parts Express outboard spikes on mine. You get a pair of true high end speakers that can be driven by an inexpensive mass market receiver, a flea power SET amp, or anything else, for about $250 total!

Re: Latest One Pi Towers [message #49772 is a reply to message #49771] Tue, 25 July 2006 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's a great looking speaker!

You're too kind to offer your help like that, Fred. What a generous offer!

I love "Pictures at an Exhibition," especially the performance done by the then young Ozawa in 1968.

Re: Wow, You and GarMan have got it going [message #49774 is a reply to message #49771] Tue, 25 July 2006 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I, on the other hand, have it going in the opposite direction:

So many meds.....so little time.....and here's a good laugh:
Next week I'm having a colonoscopy done by (I'm not making this up)
Dr. Raman!

Re: Wow, You and GarMan have got it going [message #49775 is a reply to message #49774] Wed, 26 July 2006 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Bill, sorry to hear about the "procedure". On a happier note, what are those speakers?

Re: Listen to The Speakerman [message #49776 is a reply to message #49775] Wed, 26 July 2006 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Altec/University stamped-frame-little-magnet 12" with the Vifa DX-25 crossed about 3500. Very much like the Studio 2Pi but the box has a port stuffed with foam a' la KLH 17.

We tried several BR ports from 3/4 to 2 1/2" deep. All sounded boomy. Sealed was better but then The Speakerman reached into a corner somewhere and came up with these foam discs and put them in the ports. Much better.

Who knows where Ron gets this stuff. I alternate between beleiving his house is a 'gate' to another dimension populated by speaker parts or he finds things nobody lost.

The drivers really mesh nicely with no attenuation on the tweeter. I'd say efficiencey is around 93.

Re: Listen to The Speakerman [message #49777 is a reply to message #49776] Wed, 26 July 2006 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Sounds interesting! I'll have to take a listen next time I'm up that way.

Re: Wow, You and GarMan have got it going [message #49781 is a reply to message #49774] Wed, 26 July 2006 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey Bill. Hope things go well for you next week.
On a related note, I heard that those vintage drivers are best when mounted from the rear.

One Final Picture [message #49795 is a reply to message #49771] Fri, 28 July 2006 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Here they are in the downstairs system with the Pi logos on the baffles. The 3" ports have been replaced with 4", and each speaker has the bass-enhancing megapig tweak. These will not replace the Selah XT-8 arrays, but if somebody told me the One Pi Towers would be my only speakers I wouldn't be upset at all.

Re: One Final Picture [message #49801 is a reply to message #49795] Mon, 31 July 2006 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom A. is currently offline  Tom A.
Chancellor

What's a bass enhancing megapig tweak ? How's it implimented on this speaker ?........Tom

Tweaks That Really Work [message #49802 is a reply to message #49801] Mon, 31 July 2006 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'm a sucker for tweaks. I've tried many of them, mostly with dubious results. but in the process I've found a few that make a dramatic improvement in the sound. See the link below for more information.

Previous Topic: 2226 tuning help needed!
Next Topic: You have to get outdoors!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 20:40:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout