Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pushed in Dust Cap
Pushed in Dust Cap [message #49758] Sun, 23 July 2006 18:22 Go to next message
jshoc is currently offline  jshoc
Chancellor
Well, the inevitable happened.

My youngest son was playing around my speakers with a buddy of his, and accidently pushed in the dust cap on on 15in Eminence woofers.

Any advice on how to get it back to its original symetrical shape?
I tried a vacuum nozel up against the pushed in area - didn't help much.

Thanks
Jim

Re: Pushed in Dust Cap [message #49759 is a reply to message #49758] Mon, 24 July 2006 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There's a "good" way and a "better" way to fix a dented dust cap. You can use a needle like a hook, pressing it into the cap and using it to pry out the dent. That's a good way to do it. A better way is to buy a replacement cap, cut the old one off and glue on a new one.

Re: Pushed in Dust Cap [message #49760 is a reply to message #49759] Mon, 24 July 2006 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crazy Dave is currently offline  Crazy Dave
Viscount
Tape, rolled backwards on you finger can also work well. If you destroy it, at least you can get an exact replacement from Eminence. If your speakers are in a place of public access in you house, you should really cover them. I sold audio for years and I can tell you that both children and adults, can resist pushing in dust caps and tweeter domes. It's something that's hardwired into us!

Dave

Re: Pushed in Dust Cap [message #49762 is a reply to message #49760] Mon, 24 July 2006 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jshoc is currently offline  jshoc
Chancellor
Thanks for the advice.
I am tempted to try a vacuum hose on the dust cap.

Concern would be that it dislocate the voicecoil....

Re: Pushed in Dust Cap [message #49764 is a reply to message #49762] Mon, 24 July 2006 20:56 Go to previous message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I've had good luck using the tape method. Just make sure you take a little of the sticky off if the tape is real tacky.

Previous Topic: The "right" port distance
Next Topic: Theater 4 Loudspeakers for sale!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 23:39:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio