Home » Audio » General » Help me build an amp.....PLEASE
Help me build an amp.....PLEASE [message #4972] Sun, 21 September 2008 01:27 Go to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)

Things on the home front have let up a little. I've finally had some time to work on a project I started collecting parts for several years ago. I'm building Eric Barbour's SV811 amp. I was drawn to this schematic for its simplicity.

I'm still very new to building and would like some assistance along the way.

I've built the chassis and drilled the top plates, which are 12x24". The top plates will be going to the powder coater on Tuesday. I'll post pictures when I get them back......C

Awesome! [message #4973 is a reply to message #4972] Tue, 23 September 2008 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow, Colin, that's AWESOME!

Every time I build a circuit from schematic, I put the sockets and major components in place, then wire the power lines, then the signal lines. It's just a matter of doing them step by step, one at a time.

Steve Brown has done some really great tube amps, so he probably has pointers on how to lay the lines best for noise immunity. Other than that, it's all about staying organized so you don't lose track of where you are.

Please keep us posted. Looks like a great project!

Re: Awesome! [message #4974 is a reply to message #4973] Tue, 23 September 2008 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Colin, looks great, good to hear the project is moving forward! Feel free to call if I can be of any help. I generally do all the AC wiring first, since I want that near the chassis. Then I do the power supply and output stage. Once heaters are wired I check to make sure everything lights up correctly. Once the output stage is wired you can kind of get an idea if your PS is going to be okay. While the input current draw will lower B+ a bit once it's done, the output should be in the ball park. Oh, of course, be very careful with cap discharge after you test stuff. Be sure it is fused correctly too. I don't know what kind of wire you'll use, but a lot of it these days is only rated for 300v. Grounding is always the biggest issue. Again, call if I can be of any help.

Thanks and a question [message #4975 is a reply to message #4974] Tue, 23 September 2008 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanks for the offer to help. I will call if I get stuck.

Which high voltage power supply wire and connectors do you recommend? Ground bus wire?

.....Colin

Re: Thanks and a question [message #4976 is a reply to message #4975] Tue, 23 September 2008 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Teflon stuff works great. On ground buss I use 12ga copper suspended above the chassis.

Re: Rainy day project inspiration [message #4977 is a reply to message #4976] Sat, 27 September 2008 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Had the day off yesterday and wanted to cut a bunch of cherry and pine for chassis and sound panels but no go. Colin inspired me to tackle my most dreaded project, a re-do of the 3 parts bins that had become a disorganised mess over the past 7 years.

I got one done, the resistors

maybe in 7 more years I'll get around to the caps

Re: Rainy day project inspiration [message #4978 is a reply to message #4977] Mon, 29 September 2008 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm doing a TON of that kind of reorganization too. It's hard work. I don't move often, but just moved into a new house. In the process, lots of 15-year-old parts bins have been consolidated and remade. To tell the truth, it's driving me crazy because it's so much work to go through each and every part and decide what stays and what goes. Makes me want to throw 'em all in back a pile. But since I have to move the stuff, it makes sense to sort of reinventory and reassess what I have, keep what I need and throw out what I don't. Kind of embarassing some of the stuff I have and how old it is. Kind of nostalgic too though.

That is nice indeed [message #4995 is a reply to message #4972] Sun, 26 October 2008 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wardsweb is currently offline  wardsweb
Baron
I can't wait to see some more pics of this build. Looks to be a nice clean build.

Re: Help me build an amp.....PLEASE [message #59485 is a reply to message #4972] Mon, 22 June 2009 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
perry is currently offline  perry
Chancellor
yeah sure i will help you in a way... when do you expect to finish that?..!!
Re: Help me build an amp.....PLEASE [message #62246 is a reply to message #4972] Thu, 01 April 2010 15:41 Go to previous message
lord is currently offline  lord
Esquire
hello!
Boxes always decorate with decorative self-adhesive film.
http://tehnic.ucoz.ru/publ/lampovyj_domashnij_kinoteatr_50/1-1-0-29
Previous Topic: wards airline stereo with lighted disco display GMJ2930
Next Topic: Good inexpensive headphones
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 09:42:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers