Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Please help me decide my next project : 4Pi or something else
Please help me decide my next project : 4Pi or something else [message #49581] Tue, 06 June 2006 19:49 Go to next message
Norbert is currently offline  Norbert
Baron
Hi Folks,

I've been enjoying my Studio 2Pi Towers, hooked up to my custom Dynaco Mark III, for the past 12 months... Overall, I am satisfied with what the 2Pi Towers can deliver, except I wished there is a bit more bass... Anyways,I am thinking about building another pair of speakers for stereo application and move the 2Pis to home theater use.

So here is my question: After reading the archive about various 4Pis it seems that the stage 4 Pi is the way to go, from a pricing perspective is the stage 4Pi three times better sounding than a 2Pi Tower ($80 vs $285)?
Also, for the folks that has both 2Pi Tower and 4 Pi I am interested to hear your recent thoughts about the two speakers...

Please help me choose my next project, something that is better than a 2Pi Tower without breaking my piggy bank...

Thanks in advance.

Re: Please help me decide my next project : 4Pi or something else [message #49582 is a reply to message #49581] Tue, 06 June 2006 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Norbert,

The 3x difference in price you quoted only accounts for components. When you take into account material for cabinet and your time to build, the difference becomes smaller. In fact, I would argue that because the cabinet for the Stage-4 is smaller, cabinet time and material would be less than the Towers. Compare the cost of finished speakers between Stage and Towers on Wayne's PiSpeaker site.

In terms of improvements, I believe the Pi Speakers with compression horns are in a different league than the Studio Pi's. I have not heard the Stage-4, but have built and lived with the Towers and the Theatre-3. From top to bottom, the Theatre is more refined. Both the Tower and Theatre-3 go deep in bass, but the 3 is more controlled and tight in sound. Midrange is smoother in the Theatre, without the bite in the upper-mid that the Tower has. None of this is saying that the Towers are bad. It's just that the Theatres are better. I'm certain that the Stage is even better than the Theatres.

In terms of trying to get more bass than the Towers, I'm pretty sure you will NOT find it in the Stage-4. The Stage offers improvement in quality, not quantity. If more bass is all you're after, an option would be a subwoofer based on a LAB-12, which Wayne has plans for.

Gar.

Re: Please help me decide my next project : 4Pi or something else [message #49583 is a reply to message #49582] Tue, 06 June 2006 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hi Gar,
I should clarify my impressions of bass response in the Tower. I think a better description would be that the bass from the Tower is deep and tight (narrow)? Compared to other speakers I've listened to that can be described as deep and wide. Sorry, this is the best I can describe it.

Another thing, is the sound stage and dynamics similar or different between Theatre-3 and Towers?

Thanks,
Norbert

Re: Please help me decide my next project : 4Pi or something else [message #49584 is a reply to message #49583] Wed, 07 June 2006 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I had Studio 2's for a long time, and now have Stage 4's. It's impossible to give a quantity of how much times better as a function of cost something is. Get the best you can afford; they are all good values. There's something very nice about the 2 series speakers, and they sound great. The quality of bass in the Stage's is noticeably better, and the overall sound is "bigger", with better definition inside the music. If all you care about is bang for the buck, you will never beat the 2 series. Otherwise, get the best you can afford and enjoy.

Re: Please help me decide my next project : 4Pi or something else [message #49589 is a reply to message #49583] Wed, 07 June 2006 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I would say the soundstage and dynamics to be the same. The Theatres have a bit of edge in that they can take more power (and play louder) without sounding busy. One thing I found is that the Theatres have a less forward sound than the Towers.

Sorry, but I don't quite understand the description of "narrow" bass. If by narrow, you mean soundstage, it's more likely a room placement issue. Or do you mean narrow as in frequency range (ie bass is dominated by one particular frequency).

Re: Please help me decide my next project : 4Pi or something else [message #49596 is a reply to message #49589] Wed, 07 June 2006 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Trying to describe sound using words is never easy (at least for me)... What I was trying to say with the word "narrow" is best exemplified with an example. I was listening to Natalie Cole's Unforgetable CD the track "the very thought of you" through my friend's B&W 6xx monitors (sorry I can't remember which model) and I could hear lots more information in the lower frequency range. The bass seemed to roll off for a few seconds more than the Towers. With the Towers I could hear the deep bass, but it doesn't seem to have that roll off effect and not as loud in the sub 150Hz. Both my Towers is sitting in the corner of my listening room... Thanks

Re: Please help me decide my next project : 4Pi or something else [message #49597 is a reply to message #49596] Wed, 07 June 2006 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
not rocket surgery- the 15" Omega Pro is going to give a much higher "quality" bass than the 10" Alpha-series driver. not just the Freq response, but the whole overall quality of reproduction. The Pi 2 series sounds great and is a bargain, but larger, higher-quality drivers do give more to work with.... What kind of amps do you have?

Re: Please help me decide my next project : 4Pi or something else [message #49599 is a reply to message #49597] Wed, 07 June 2006 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I have Dynaco Mark IIIs, at 60W per I am barely past 20% on my volume dial during normal listening levels so the extra power from the Stage 4 Pi is something I won't benefit from.

Re: Please help me decide my next project : 4Pi or something else [message #49601 is a reply to message #49599] Thu, 08 June 2006 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Where do you live? Maybe you can try to find a pair of the Stage 4's or Pro 4's to listen to.

Re: Please help me decide my next project : 4Pi or something else [message #49604 is a reply to message #49601] Thu, 08 June 2006 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Baron
I live in Oakville, Ontario...
Anyone living in the area and is willing to let me audition your setup?

Norbert

Previous Topic: Okay, so Wayne was right.
Next Topic: making custom cabinets
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 01:05:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout