Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Okay, so Wayne was right.
Okay, so Wayne was right. [message #49595] Wed, 07 June 2006 14:47 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Last couple of days, I've been searching for a tweeter for my full/wide range driver speaker project. After reviewing specs on almost every tweeter from almost every manufacturer, guess which one I ended with? Vifa DX25. With all things considered, it ended with the best combination of price, extension, smoothness, sensitivity and dispersion. Sometimes, you just have to find your own way home.

Gar.

Wayne was right. [message #49598 is a reply to message #49595] Wed, 07 June 2006 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne spent considerable time and effort in coming up with the Vifa DX25 tweeter. It is indeed a great tweeter for the application used in the Pi systems.

Ron

Re: Wayne was right. [message #49602 is a reply to message #49598] Thu, 08 June 2006 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master
Yes. Another thing that I discovered when working with it's parameters for other guys, was that, after that they considered using another Vifa Tweeter, it was no easy task because of impedance. You have to xover the tweeter driver and respect impedance.

So this guy had a Vifa tweeter (TC26TG05-06 or similar, I think) xovered in a box and he just bought a new one the XT25TG30-04. And he didn't wanted to change the x-overs or mess inside the box. Ha-ha, what happen was that the first tweeter was 4.6 Ohms and the new one that he bought was (the one w/the spike) 2.9 Ohms, he thought it would be more powerfull. And wasn't, it come down about 6dB because of bad impedance xover. Since I runned it in Spice (thanks Wayne) I new what it was and the other guys in the forum were going crazy.

I think that, Wayne might confirm, one of the main reasons the DX25 is good and he chose it, besides good shelf output is it's low resonance frequency. Wayne is xovering speakers very low in same cases and he needs good low resson. freq. drivers.
Regards

Re: Wayne was right. [message #49606 is a reply to message #49602] Thu, 08 June 2006 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You're right. The DX25 has a wide surround and can handle a low crossover point and/or shallow crossover slope.

Re: Wayne was right. [message #49608 is a reply to message #49606] Thu, 08 June 2006 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I like it for dispersion. The XT25 was flatter with higher extension, but off-axis was ugly.

Re: Wayne was right. [message #49610 is a reply to message #49608] Thu, 08 June 2006 14:56 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's true. Dome tweeters are tough to get good off-axis response, but the DX25 isn't too bad; At least it is relatively uniform.

Previous Topic: Tower 2
Next Topic: Please help me decide my next project : 4Pi or something else
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 17:23:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout